Constantly learning

:welcome

Sorry your broody turned out to be rough on the last clutch. If you want to break her, I'd use a broody buster (use the search to find posts on the subject).

Best of luck

I wouldn't give her another chance to be broody. In my mind it's a total strike out.

You can also put one of those frozen blue ice coolers underneath a broody breaker cage. Cold air really brings them back from broodiness.

Thank you to everyone who welcomed me and helped me through a trying time. We put Jewell in a wire cage chocked on bricks. She actually escaped this and spent a a few hours in the rain. I thought it might have been the end of her as it was rather cold and she was shaking. Wrapped up and back in the cage with some warmed chicken porridge, she soldiered on. Finally, after a total of 10 days without eggs and in rather uncomfortable circumstances she gave up. We know the moment she stopped being broody as she let out a very loud call and stopped clucking from that moment on. However she stayed in the cage another day - well for a few hours until she broke out again and managed to spend a happy time wrecking the garden beds.:th
She is one stupid bird at times, but a well loved member of our flock.
How long is it likely to be before she lays again?

Thank you to everyone who welcomed me and helped me through a trying time. We put Jewell in a wire cage chocked on bricks. She actually escaped this and spent a a few hours in the rain. I thought it might have been the end of her as it was rather cold and she was shaking. Wrapped up and back in the cage with some warmed chicken porridge, she soldiered on. Finally, after a total of 10 days without eggs and in rather uncomfortable circumstances she gave up. We know the moment she stopped being broody as she let out a very loud call and stopped clucking from that moment on. However she stayed in the cage another day - well for a few hours until she broke out again and managed to spend a happy time wrecking the garden beds.:th
She is one stupid bird at times, but a well loved member of our flock.
How long is it likely to be before she lays again?
It can vary. With mine, it's usually 7-10 days. However, since you may be living in the temperate latitudes of the northern hemisphere, the shortening days may well play a role as well (adding your location under your avatar can help people to advise you best on a whole range of issues)

Back
Top Bottom