Constantly learning

Laurelea

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2017
I am a busy teacher, mum and backyard chicken enthusiast. I have had chickens of various breeds on an off for 10 - 12 years, but only tried incubating recently. They are wonderful pets with benefits. However, I am constantly learning about what they can and cannot do. Our recent broody Light Sussex managed to kill a full clutch of fertilized eggs: cracking eggs, standing on some, tossing others out of the nest etc. Very disappointing. However, after 5 weeks, from beginning, she is still clucky and annoying the rest of the hen house as we try to snap her out of it. Do I persist in keeping her uncomfortable so she rejoins the flock, or give her some eggs again? Or live chicks? Last year we tried the live chicks, but I don't think I had let her sit long enough before introducing them. Can someone help me through this one?

Hi and welcome to BYC

I'm not sure that i would do anything other than break her broodiness. It takes a significant toll on a broody hen for the regular 21 days, let alone an extended period beyond that. You could try introducing chicks to her, but maybe have a brooder ready to use, as plan B.

This link should help in breaking broody hens -
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/181289/how-to-break-a-broody-hen

Welcome to BYC! Glad you've joined us! You can try grafting chicks to her if you want her to raise some but you need to m have babies, less than 3 days old (newly hatched is preferable) and you need to slip them under her at night, when it's dark. There is a chance that she may kill them though if the graft doesn't work. You can also break her off her broodiness but putting her in a wire cage that is up off the ground so the air flows under her. Make sure she has a roost. Keep her in there for about a week and she "should" stop brooding.

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Not all broodies make good mommas. Especially new hens. If she were mine, I might give it another go, but if this attitude continued, I would keep her from setting on fertile eggs.

Good luck with her and the rest of your flock and welcome to our roost! :)

Back
Top Bottom