Constantly learning

Laurelea

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2017
I am a busy teacher, mum and backyard chicken enthusiast. I have had chickens of various breeds on an off for 10 - 12 years, but only tried incubating recently. They are wonderful pets with benefits. However, I am constantly learning about what they can and cannot do. Our recent broody Light Sussex managed to kill a full clutch of fertilized eggs: cracking eggs, standing on some, tossing others out of the nest etc. Very disappointing. However, after 5 weeks, from beginning, she is still clucky and annoying the rest of the hen house as we try to snap her out of it. Do I persist in keeping her uncomfortable so she rejoins the flock, or give her some eggs again? Or live chicks? Last year we tried the live chicks, but I don't think I had let her sit long enough before introducing them. Can someone help me through this one?

Hi and welcome to BYC

I'm not sure that i would do anything other than break her broodiness. It takes a significant toll on a broody hen for the regular 21 days, let alone an extended period beyond that. You could try introducing chicks to her, but maybe have a brooder ready to use, as plan B.

This link should help in breaking broody hens -
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/181289/how-to-break-a-broody-hen

:welcome

Sorry your broody turned out to be rough on the last clutch. If you want to break her, I'd use a broody buster (use the search to find posts on the subject).

Best of luck

Welcome to BYC! Glad you've joined us! You can try grafting chicks to her if you want her to raise some but you need to m have babies, less than 3 days old (newly hatched is preferable) and you need to slip them under her at night, when it's dark. There is a chance that she may kill them though if the graft doesn't work. You can also break her off her broodiness but putting her in a wire cage that is up off the ground so the air flows under her. Make sure she has a roost. Keep her in there for about a week and she "should" stop brooding.

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Not all broodies make good mommas. Especially new hens. If she were mine, I might give it another go, but if this attitude continued, I would keep her from setting on fertile eggs.

Good luck with her and the rest of your flock and welcome to our roost! :)

Back
Top Bottom