Constipated chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicklunatic, May 19, 2010.

1. chicklunatic

chicklunatic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Luna, NM
    Maybe this has been answered before but I couldn't find it. I have a Bantam chick that seems a little swollen. It is also very lethargic. I was wondering if it maybe ate something it shouldn't -- like paper; and if so is there a way I can relieve this poor guy? [​IMG]

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Swollen where, exactly?

3. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    Does it have pasty Butt? Try holding it in a sink filled with warm water. I use 100 degree water and will hold then in my hand with their neck in between my thunb and fore finger. Then gently rub them over with the other hand. Some love it! But some hate it! LOL I use this method when I have a chick covered in yolk or who is not fluffing out. It works great! I then use a hair dryer set to low warm holding it about 18 inches away. I place them in a towel on the counter and blow them dry. It usually realy energizes them afterward. Every one love a good soak! LOL

Good Luck and god bless!

P.s. I have heard of giving a lil bit of olive oil too! BUT I don't know how much! Or if it works, Sorry!

4. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    My first chicks, I got them at Easter, 1 RIR, 2 Buff Orpingtons and 1 Barred Rock had similar problem. Pooping was really hard for them. They would turn their heads around to their bottoms to try and get it to come out. I gave them some lettuce and that made it easier. I was using Rural King brand food.

I now have 5 additional Easter Eggers and switched to Purina and they dont have that problem. So not sure if it is difference in breed or food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by