1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Constipated chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AgroUrica, Mar 22, 2013.

1. AgroUrica

AgroUrica Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    Wow, that sure flushed a lot of poop out of him, though he didn't seem to care for the procedure too much. I'm going to let him rest a while in the incubator for now. The entire vent area is hardened/swollen. Don't know if he'll make it, but I'll know I've tried what I could.

Thanks for the help all.

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    You can feed the chick bread with some mineral oil on it. That may help.

3. AgroUrica

Feb 20, 2013
    I've now got him separated from his buddies but the good news is that he's eating, drinking, and pooping![​IMG]

The things we do for chickens.

4. ArticStrat

ArticStrat Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Congratulations on the successful poopectomy! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. MontanaDolphin

MontanaDolphin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    Yay!!!

6. AgroUrica

Feb 20, 2013
    He's now back with his buddies! Though nothing's a certainty with these little guys, I gotta tell ya, this morning I didn't think there was any possible way this fellow would make it because he was so blocked up. Sticking his rear in warm water for a few minutes followed by the syringe enema really did trick cleaning him out. Thanks for the helpful responses from everyone. What a great site this is!!!![​IMG]

7. Chambertin

Chambertin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Funabashi Japan
    My Coop
    Just happy the little guy has a better chance now.
    Yeah, we've gone a lot further than I ever thought for chickens.
    All worth it though.

8. AgroUrica

Feb 20, 2013
    Finally saw him in the crowd today (he's with 299 others) at one of the feeders. He's like the Energizer Bunny.[​IMG]

9. bbsnooks

bbsnooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2012
    Hello all.
    I wanted to thank all the poster's..
    I had a 3wk chick.. that .. is smaller than his 5 other mates.. and I would notice.. she would "chirp" lots when pooping..
    I had gotten concerned when it looked as if she was having constant contractions.. to try and poop.

poor thing.. I read thru this thread.. and I had already made up garlic/coconut oil and i gave that to her in both ends..
    (garlic chicken.. ) hummm.. any how..
    today.. is the first day.. i've seen her poop with out chirping like flipper.. ( who knew they made that dolphin sound)
    but .. all is clear today.. thanks to your Question.. and answers..
    Deb

10. Angelight

Angelight Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2012
    Thanks for this post. Someone pointed me here today to try to help a constipated chick out. She had a clear outer vent but an obvious internal blockage. This gave me some ideas to try and while she died, I know I tried many things to save her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by