Constipated chick

Wow, that sure flushed a lot of poop out of him, though he didn't seem to care for the procedure too much. I'm going to let him rest a while in the incubator for now. The entire vent area is hardened/swollen. Don't know if he'll make it, but I'll know I've tried what I could.

Thanks for the help all.

I've now got him separated from his buddies but the good news is that he's eating, drinking, and pooping!
ya.gif

The things we do for chickens.

He's now back with his buddies! Though nothing's a certainty with these little guys, I gotta tell ya, this morning I didn't think there was any possible way this fellow would make it because he was so blocked up. Sticking his rear in warm water for a few minutes followed by the syringe enema really did trick cleaning him out. Thanks for the helpful responses from everyone. What a great site this is!!!!
love.gif

Finally saw him in the crowd today (he's with 299 others) at one of the feeders. He's like the Energizer Bunny.
lol.png

Hello all.
I wanted to thank all the poster's..
I had a 3wk chick.. that .. is smaller than his 5 other mates.. and I would notice.. she would "chirp" lots when pooping..
I had gotten concerned when it looked as if she was having constant contractions.. to try and poop.

poor thing.. I read thru this thread.. and I had already made up garlic/coconut oil and i gave that to her in both ends..
(garlic chicken.. ) hummm.. any how..
today.. is the first day.. i've seen her poop with out chirping like flipper.. ( who knew they made that dolphin sound)
but .. all is clear today.. thanks to your Question.. and answers..
Deb

Thanks for this post. Someone pointed me here today to try to help a constipated chick out. She had a clear outer vent but an obvious internal blockage. This gave me some ideas to try and while she died, I know I tried many things to save her.

Back
Top Bottom