Constipated Chicken???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Slater1995, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Slater1995

Slater1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a SLW hen that is about 23 weeks old. For the past 2 months we have been doctoring her for constipation. I am not sure what is going on with her. Can a chicken have IBS??? My daughter uses a bulb syringe and squirts warm water on her vent and just inside and when she does this the bird poops out what looks like a weeks worth of poop. Once she is all cleaned out she is ok for a week or so and then it happens again. Is there something that I can add to her feed to help her? I will say she is not developed as far as my other hens that hatched the same time. She has no tail feathers because the other birds picked them all but even the rest of her body is pretty small. I had two other birds like her but they passed away. I am hoping that someone has had some experience with this. I thought I would pick up some yogurt this evening and try adding it, but other than that I am not sure what else to do.

Suggestions???

PS. - I don't think she is egg bound. None of my chickens are laying just yet, but they are getting close.

Thanks,
    Teresa

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

There are laxatives that you can use on chickens. (Molasses, Epsom salt, or caster oil)
    I haven't myself, but will attach a link to the solutions. I think they are more used to flush a chicken that may have eaten something poisonous. Can you ask advice from a vet?

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html

Good luck

Imp

BTW- Here's a blog about using olive oil

http://farmboots.wordpress.com/2009...icken-squirt-of-olive-oil-tunes-hen-right-up/

ETA- Make sure you get organic yogurt with the live bacteria in it.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  3. Slater1995

Quote:Thanks so much for the advise and the great links. I printed all the solutions out to add to my home made chicken care book.

Thanks again,
    Teresa

4. Slater1995

any other suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by