Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pretend farmer

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 12, 2012
I have a buff barred rock that is currently moulting. today, i noyiced that there was something unusual a bout her behind. it looks like excrement that is half out but it has remained like that all day HELP!!!!

It may be a prolapsed vent. Get her in a tub of warm water, and check to see if an egg is stuck. Then try to push the prolapse back inside. Honey or Preaparation H may be applied to help shrink the tissue. This may happen again with each bowl movement or egg, so putting her in a covered cage may be wise for a few days.

I have a buff barred rock that is currently moulting. today, i noyiced that there was something unusual a bout her behind. it looks like excrement that is half out but it has remained like that all day HELP!!!!

Could you post a photo? It sounds like she could have prolapsed vent, which can be a serious condition. I would soak her in 90-95 degree F. water for 15-30 minutes. Try to clean her up, but be gentle. After the soaking, re-access the situation. If she was just dirty, she'll probably be fine. But if you see something reddish hanging out of the vent, she has prolapse.

To treat, isolate your hen in a darkened, clean place. Give her water, but not food--only feed her twice a day, once in the morning and then again at night. Put some honey and/or Witch Hazel, or possibly Preparation-H on the prolapse to reduce swelling and help it recede back into the body. You can also put some antibiotic ointment on the prolapse to prevent infection. I'd continue soaking her 1-2 times daily until (hopefully) the prolapse recedes. This can take anywhere from a few hours, to several days, to never (in that case it would be best to cull). However, you've probably caught the problem early enough to treat it successfully.

Good luck!

It sounds like it could be a prolapsed vent. If so, I'd give her a warm water bath. After a bath, maybe you'll be able to see if it is a prolapsed vent. Look up some pictures, and see if it looks similar to your bird.

If it turns out that it is a prolapsed vent, I suggest continuing to give her warm baths at least once a day. This will help relax her muscles, and retract the prolapse. Put some honey and Witch Hazel on the prolapse to keep it moist and to shrink it. Some people also use Preparation H. I've also heard of putting sugar into the water when you give her a bath, as this supposedly helps shrink it too. When my bird had a prolapse, I just used warm water baths, Witch Hazel, and honey, and she recovered.

Make sure to keep her isolated from the other birds, as birds will pick at the prolapse. Has she been laying? You need to stop her from laying any more eggs, at least for a while. Keep her in a dark room, and only feed her at night. This is what I did when my chicken had a prolapse.

About twice a day or so, gently push the prolapse in. It likely won't stay in very long (as soon as she produces a dropping again, it will probably come out), but it will help strengthen her muscles. Give some calcium and vitamins in her water, too.

It can take anywhere from a day or two to a couple weeks for a prolapse to heal. My bird's prolapse was fine in three days. Hopefully, your bird recovers just as quickly!

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom