Constipated/swollen vent? (And other problems) HELP!!! Update post 10

MattalynsBarn

Songster
9 Years
Jun 11, 2010
Connecticut
One of my 12 day old Speckled Sussex chicks appears to be having trouble pooping. She can poop, but she trills and it seems difficult for her. She is about 4-5 days behind the others growth wise (feathers and over all size) but is eating and I assume drinking. Also her vent appears to be swollen, but isn't really red. What can I do for my poor baby?

Last edited:
We had the same problem with our Cornish X. Call your vet. We did a little too late.
Good luck and hope she is better soon!

Well that's just it, other than being small (she's starting to get more feathers) and having trouble pooping, she's perfectly normal. Her butt is not crusted over, and she doesn't like to eat out of the feeder, so be have a bowl for her. But she does eat a lot and has good HUGE poops. ACK!!!

We ran warm water over her butt and then blow dried her, then put petroleum jelly on her vent ad she gave us a nice big pop. my dad just ran down to the store to get mineral oil (that we'll give her) and some fruit yogurt that might help loosen her stools if that is the problem.

smile.png
Happy to hear that the warm water and vaseline worked. We did that too! My grandma just laughed at us. Happy to hear all is better

Ugh it's not good... she's still having trouble pooping, her vent is bigger... the stuff didn't make any long term difference and we can't put it on after every time she poops. We're calling a vet tomorrow to take her in.
fl.gif
she'll be ok!!!

Well she made it through the night... But it's so hard to tell if she doing better. We have a 3:45 vet app and so I'll let you know what they say asap

Back
Top Bottom