constipation in chicks

barnyard critters

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 15, 2008
Alberta
we incubated eggs. 31 out of 33 fertile eggs in our hobavator!!!!!!! Our partner in the project is raising the chicks in their bathtub. They put a light on a shower rod and lower it to get the right temp. They have said that since the floor is only newspaper, they can get constipated. It sticks to their anus and then they can't push any more out. They said that they have to wash them very carefully to remove the excess. Could you suspend a cabbage at this young age to help combat this problem? Any other suggestions.
Thank you

Yes the starter is fresh -as in newly purchased, but I should investigate to see if there is a production date on the bag. Anything that I have to watch for in regards to types of plain yogurt?
thank you,
Wendy

I would suggest removing the newspaper and putting them on pine shavings (with paper towels covering it for the first week). The newspaper is slippery and causes leg problems in chicks. The paper towel will help keep them from eating the shavings until they understand what food is.

As for the pasting, it can be a couple things. Some breeds are more prone to pasting on their bum and others just have a harder time getting used to taking in and processing feed. Yogurt is a good source to help with gut flora.

I think I should also mention to check the temperature of the brooder and make sure it's not too hot or too cool for them. That can also cause pasting of feces. The correct temp is around 95 F the first week and then decrease it by 5 degrees per week thereafter.

Once the feces is cleaned up, apply a little baby oil or vegetable oil to the vent to keep it from sticking so quickly again.

Good luck with the chicks.

Jody

I also use warm water for their waterer at all times and luck I would have it, none of them had pasty butts. Maybe cold water upset their stomaches. No sugar or anything additive in their waterers either.

My 5-week-old chick is having trouble pooping and showing swelling in the anus. They've just been moved outside and I've been washing the area and applying tripple antibiotic cream to the area. She's eating and drinking, but should I try the yougurt? Amount? Type? Help, I don't want to loose her.
big_smile.png

Hi! I lost a chick last evening - I suspect it was constipated. After i cleaned it's bottom, it grew listless - wouldn't eat or drink. I checked the others this morning and noticed another one needed 'cleaned', and i suspect pasty butt. They're rhode island whites and they're under a week old. I just got them two days ago. After their first water mixed w/vitamins, i changed to regular water. I saw on your forum that yogurt helps, but they won't touch it. I ground their medicated meal, added chopped boiled egg yolk (which they enjoyed) but once i mixed in a little plain yogurt to make a grainy mash, they refused to eat it. Any suggestions on how I can 'soften' things up for them? I don't want to lose anymore chicks.. some seem more sluggish then others. Thanks! I appreciate any help, and all suggestions!

I just read a post saying pasty butt is caused by dehydration and too warm a brooder. I know they say 95 but I also believe the chicks need a place to get away from that much heat if they want to. Broody raised chicks are out running around at 2-3 days in much cooler temps at least part of the time; they do not spend their days under mama for warmth.

Back
Top Bottom