constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I watched very closely on weekends. Rules for incubators seem not to apply for hen brooded eggs.
Hatch rate still very high, last brood better than 90%. Red jungle fowl hen comes off nest twice daily every day yet all her eggs have hatched. Eggs got cool to touch every time she came off nest.

SALLIE PENNED UP UNTIL SPRING

I walked over and picked up Sallie and placed her in winter quarters. It is first time she was confined during entire life. She was trying to set another clutch in woods way behind house and dominque cross roosters were covering her. I will let Eduardo do his thing every couple days or so and pack Sallie with best food items I can find to finish out a good pure game clutch. Sallie has layed nearly 80 eggs this year while successfully brooding two to hatch. Eduardo will get penned as soon as pens become available. Free-ranging front porch flock will be made up of red jungle fowl x games only.

Last edited:
FRONT PORCH FLOCK MOVING FROM ROOST SITE TO ROOST SITE AS UNIT

The front porch flock has been changing roost location every night for last 4 nights. Great Horned Owl is probable cause as caught a juvenile dominique x California grey that insisted on roosting on top of remote roost used by front porch flock. Flock even moved away from constructed remote roost despite not being in direct danger themselves. Last move was over 200 feet to white oak in backyard. I do not recall ever seeing a group being so cohesive. I am begining to have unpleasant thoughts for Great Horned Owl.

SLEEPING STARS TONIGHT TO GIVE GREAT HORNED OWL HARD TIME

Scoob and I are sleeping near remote roost previously used by front porch flock. Goal is to determine how GHO is getting birds to leave roost. Last night we tried same while sleeping in front doorway on couch with front door open but GHO did not show. Coyote did pass by house last night and Scoob chased it off. As far as I can tell coyote has not been messing with birds despite neighbors saying coyote passes though pretty regularly. Tracks support what they say.

This also puts me in position to respond to problem if owl works trees where front porch flock is now. Deer now coming out getting Scoob all riled up. They look tasty but do not give Scoob much mind. By next year Scoob may treat deer like he does cats, somebody to annoey if nothing better to do.

I can hear GHO's in distance now........

I love that! You are a professor aren't you? I worked at Florida State University for a couple of years while I was getting my teaching degree. Professors are wired very differently for sure! (That's a good thing).
sharon
ETA: Maybe I should have said scientist?

Last edited:
What is your opinion on the owl statues that some people have recommended to deter owls from coming into the fake owl's "territory"? I also saw a device that, when activated by motion, would send out two red laser beams that were meant to replicate the glow of another animal's eyes (sounds like something out of star wars to me, or at least would totally freak out the kids on Halloween).

Just wondering what you've tried since you have such a systematic approach to things.

I have really enjoyed following this series, by the way. How is Sallie doing in winter quarters?

I've read this entire thread in one sitting and I am so impressed with your dedication! I love my chickens but have no wisdom in any care beyond the usual. I admire your dedication and your wife's tolerance for such a hobby, I look forward to many more posts (please!). You can't overdo pictures either so more, more, more please!

Good day! I am a long time reader/lurker and this thread is an excellent learning opportunity. I do have some questions as I would like to try and implement some of your predator proofing at the farm I am doing an intership at. First, do you collect any of your eggs from the jungle fowl for consumption? Is it best to get a naturally flighty breed for the high roosts or could any light egg laying breed work? In your experiance are there any other breeds suitible for this more natural style of living? If you have time to answer these questions that would be great! There is no rush though.
Thanks!

Reese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom