Construction For Dummies???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by luvinrunnin, Aug 14, 2011.

1. luvinrunnin

luvinrunnin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    I want to learn some bassic building techniques. I am clueless, and generally have my husband build what I need. However, we have a ton of projects that need completed, and I'd like to be able to build small things on my own. I want to build a few nest boxes, and a small building (not really a building, just something for the 7 SLW I have to get out of the weather, etc. and to be able to put their nest boxes in.) I want to make sure I do things at least "sorta" correctly.

Suggestions????

Thanks![​IMG]

2. HenCrazyMom

HenCrazyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Merrifield, MN
    I have absolutely no construction suggestions but I do wish you the very best of luck with your building projects. I am among the constructionally challenged. I will however send very positive thoughts your way and hope that someone can give you the support you need. [​IMG]

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Well, there is a Building Chicken Coops for Dummies book. It's even available through the BYC store.

4. luvinrunnin

May 12, 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions!!! I an pretty challenged myself and don't have a clue what I'm doing lol. But if I can find something that goes step by step with lots if pictures I think I can tackle a small project!

5. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    I didn't really know what I was doing either. But I did know the basics of what I wanted. So what I did was drive down the road to the $900 Amish chicken coops they were selling, take pics of every nook and cranny and basically just copy it myself. I knew enough from reading on here what was wrong with them, and they used nails, I used screws, etc. But it gave me enough of an idea to start.
    Now that I'm almost done with the siding, it wasn't too hard at all. I figured I would just try it and see what happens. I could study how to build one for months, or I could start building one and learn as I go.

6. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    Try Family Handyman. They have a monthly, and a web site. You can punch in something basic construction, or beginner DIY projects. Its a start. Or, tag along with your hubby.

7. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    I can say this because I did it! Get a level, lots of screws (1 in, 2 in and 3in) and a power drill with a screwdriver tip and lots of wood. Sketch out what you kinda want, have a plan and a knowledgable husband standing by. Frame it in, put the floor down, put up your roof, add exterior walls, I cut in pop door and Windows from that, then framed them in. Insulate, interior walls, roosts and bedding (deep litter method). Build screen insert for pop door with hardware cloth and cover window, use pop door cut out with hinges and a slide lock framed with scrap wood to stabalize the door and build you a ramp.

If you can screw together some wood you can do it. I will tell you that my husband did make all of my circular saw cuts because Aw both know I would have lost an ARM, but I did use the sawzaw on lots of stuff.

[​IMG] [/img]

[​IMG] [/img]

8. luvinrunnin

May 12, 2011
    Quote:Thanks!!!! That's what I need! Will find me a simple plan to start with.

Gods job nickie!!!

9. geoff40

geoff40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Boonies, NH
    There are some pretty good texts out there, if you're the sort that can learn from reading. Check ebay and amazon, for used carpentry books. A guy named Leonard wrote a good one which has several editions. In addition if you are near any sort of night school system, some have pretty good classes for adults. Take a class or 2 and you might find yourself a new hobby. If you know how to do things right, you can save a ton of money (read: another vacation) doing projects around your home.

10. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    Do a search on You tube. There is a woman on there that builds entire coops on video so you can see everything she does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by