Construction has begun **UPDATED 4.1

Great, I have to get some!

I may try liquid nails with screws. Are you putting a fender washer under the screw? Hmm, maybe glue will be a bad idea in case I have to take it up for some reason??

I have a table saw- just use a "standard" blade?

The material is thick enough I don't think a fender washer will be necessary, I actually plan on using drywall screws at the corners with nothing in the middle. Yep, standard blade - the material is kind of a coated hardboard.

Last edited:
You may want to have the easy clean surfaces where they are easy to replace. My coop has a slide-out bottom and today I noticed it is water damaged and hard to clean near the waterer. Next time I do the thorough cleaning, I'll slide the bottom sheet out and turn it over or replace it.

I work at Lowes. Another, cheap sheet of 4x8 surface material is masonite (medium density fiberboard) for less than $7. It's brown and slick, so it's easy to clean and looks clean.

I can't imagine masonite holding up very long as a floor covering that will get wet. Even if it is a simple periodic washing down of the floor.

I was thinking the same thing. The reason I chose the shower board is so I could hose it down - if I did that with the masonite I would expect it not too last long.

Last edited:
Quote:
You are both right about the masonite. I was offering that as a cheaper surface than the tile board. You would be surprised how long the sheets last for my purposes. Remember, I can replace these as a bottom just by sliding one out and another in for a new floor. This summer when it's very hot, I may leave the solid floor out and have them walking on 1/2 x 1/2 welded wire underneath. This will make for maximum ventilation on very hot days.

Back
Top Bottom