contact lenses that can change the color of your eyes?!?

The problem my sister encountered with those new contacts ( they were the 'cats' eye's style very popular on the Internet a few years ago) is that they are made from non-FDA (or something like that) approved materials - she contracted a very serious eye infection (They were manufactured outside the US, I am sure it was China) and almost lost her vision in one eye
So, unless the eye doctor says' OK' - I won't use it
As for the lenses being thrown away every two weeks, the Acuvues I wear are only good for two weeks before the protein deposits accumulate and make my eyes itch like crazy. The eye doctor (not the same as my sister's) put it under the microscope and wouldn't let me put it back in my eye - I had worn them for about three weeks or more, I can't remember.

I had colored contacts about 15 years ago. The ones I had were a circle of color, with the middle being clear, so that your vision wasn't affected (well, it improved mine, since I'm blind without them).

I have very pale blue eyes, so any color I put on was very dramatic. Back then, the browns looked really weird, probably because my base color was so light. I had green and blue. The green ended up looking really super bright, and almost fake. The blue made my eyes a dark blue color. It was pretty fun for a change. Then I had kids and didn't have money any more.

I've considered getting colored contacts again for fun, but I'm a little nervous. The last year or so, I struggled with eye ulcers that were ultimately blamed on an allergic reaction to one of the materials in my contacts (Accuvue Oasys). I don't want to do *anything* to endanger my eyes again.

I've had colored contacts for Halloween and after the holiday I wore them for fun. Most people never notice even if you have an unnatural color unless you look them right in the eye. I might be getting some this year as well.
There are a few doctors outside the US who will do a surgical cosmetic eye change, although it was originally supposed to be a procedure to help protect the eyes of albinos and people born without irises. That is a lot of where the natural eye color lenses stemmed from.

For any lenses you need to see a doctor for a possible prescription and the measurements of your eyes, typically the base and diameter. After you have that, you can put the information into any contact seller website and order lenses without having to see your eye doctor and have them ordered for you. If you want lenses that fit over more of your eye, like Sclera lenses or something like circle lenses, you need more precise measurements for them to be properly made and fit your eyes.
Typically such lenses are used for film because you should only wear them for very short amounts of time and with film you can take them out in between takes. (If you look into it you can find information about actors who have temporarily lost vision because of those lenses.) The issue with them is that they cover your entire eye and block oxygen from getting in. Your eyes need to breathe just like your skin and if you block that it can do permanent damage.

Most lenses you buy come in one standard size so they will fit with slight imperfections. The imperfect fit leads to your contact sliding up or down on your eye, and if it has a colored lens you end up with a bit of the colored iris covering your eye. If you look at your clear contact lens on your eye you should be able to see if it has slid around and is not precisely centered on your eye.

DD's have been buying/using them for "shows" for several years now. Love 'em. As long as they aren't the "Lady GaGa" type that alter your corina, they're pretty safe. I think it's fantastic to be able to match your eyes to your outfit, just like Dorothy in Oz could!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom