Contagious or not?

melissaharris

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 17, 2014
Longview, Texas
I have three 2 week old chicks and one was quite a bit smaller than the others to begin with. I bought them at my local feed store at 5 days old. She seemed to have problems pooping, but I kept her bottom clean. She had been eating, drinking, acting like a normal chick, but yesterday I noticed she was quite lethargic and had runny white diarrhea.

I separated her. I cleaned her a couple times yesterday and made her take sips of water. Today she died. I have cleaned the area and feeder and waterer where the other chicks are. This is my second time raising baby chicks. My other girls are almost a year old. I've never had any problems. How can I know if this was something contagious. If my other babies make it to be big enough to be introduced to my flock of 4, how will I know if they are carriers of something.

For now, we are being very careful keeping them in isolation, hand washing, changing clothes, etc. I did notice today that the tiny sick baby had a large hard lump on her left neck. The other chicks seem to be fine for now.

Please help. I'll be devastated if I do something to accidentally hurt my other chickens. I love these girls.

...How can I know if this was something contagious. If my other babies make it to be big enough to be introduced to my flock of 4, how will I know if they are carriers of something.

You would never know without lab work during a necropsy.

For now, we are being very careful keeping them in isolation, hand washing, changing clothes, etc. I did notice today that the tiny sick baby had a large hard lump on her left neck. The other chicks seem to be fine for now.

The hard large lump should be on the chickens right side. That would be the crop full of food.

Always know the symptoms of coccidiosis. Coccidiosis is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract and is the leading cause of death among chicks. Cocci kills very fast,but is easily controlled using a coccidiostat,like Corid/Amprol both contain amprolium.

Some symptoms of coccidiosis are: runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which strain it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking,general look of unwell.

Coccidiosis is spread by droppings,which get into feed/water via droppings,but is also spread by wild birds,our own clothes/hands/shoes/feed utensils,etc and by bringing new birds into flock. Chickens are only immune to the strains they have had prior exposure to.

If symptoms match,purchase Corid(amprolium) or could be called Amprol(amprolium)depending where you live. Dose for Corid/Amprol 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 1-1.5 tsp per gallon of water,treat ALL chickens for 5-7 days,make sure this is the only source of drinking water. Do not give vitamins during treatment as they interfere with the ability of the cocidiostat to work,give vitamins after treatment is complete.

Treating with Corid/Amprol will not harm birds,but not treating(if they have coccidiosis)may result in deaths.

Subhanalah- they have been eating organic, non-soy chick starter. No other foods yet so no grit. I have poured over that link and other links of normal and abnormal poo. She didn't start having runny poo until yesterday. The other two look fine and have normal energy, appetites, and poo.
Ten Chicks- thank you for the information. I have read many websites and discussions on this topic. The symptoms didn't seem to match, but I called the feed store to inquire about the health of the other chicks sent in the box with this one. The owner of the feed store said there hadn't been any problems with the other chicks from that box. The two babies we have left look fine, so I guess I'll just watch them. I'm still unsure about the future introduction into the outside flock.

I have been reading forums on this website since I got my first babies last year. I didn't make an account until today. I thank you all for your responses to my questions.

Back
Top Bottom