Containers for nipple waters

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chicks4fun2, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Chicks4fun2

Chicks4fun2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2014
    Pacific NW
    Hello I am trying to figure out if I can attach a single nipple waterer to the lid of a container similar to a soda bottle so I can quickly and Inexpensively switch out water?The container would need to be light in weight so my younger children could help with this chore.
    Thanks in advance!

2. [​IMG]

You can install the nipple on the screw on top like this. Is that what you are looking for.

3. Chicks4fun2

Chicks4fun2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2014
    Pacific NW
    Yes! That's exactly what I was thinking ... Did you have to puncture a hole in the top of your bottle to get the water to flow freely?and how is the bottle attached to the coop?

4. I just drilled a hole then screwed in the nipple. I have used a rabbit water bottle holder to fasten to the hardware cloth (wire). Chickens seem to take to it pretty quick.

1 person likes this.
  5. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    All you need is a pin hole in the top so that the bottle doesn't form a vacuum. [​IMG]

6. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I am not a fan of containers. They are a lot of maintenance and cleaning and take up a lot of space. I'd recommend cups or nipples.
    [​IMG]

7. If you install the nipple onto the bottle cap you can simply replace the 2 liter bottle when it gets old or dirty. Just simply screw the cap onto a new plastic bottle.

I have also installed the nipples onto 2 & 5 gallon buckets. You have many options.

8. jimmywalt

jimmywalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    Here is one of the many I made last year that I used when my hens were little chicks. It works great.

You can buy these for about $2 for 5 of them shipped free from China. It will take a couple weeks to get them but they work well!

I had to drill a hole in the bottle lid just smaller than the chicken nipple. Make sure to make a small hole near the bottom of the bottle so that an air lock isn't formed. If so, the water won't come out the nipple.

I used a coat hanger to hang it from the brooder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by