*Contentment*

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Oct 28, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's a beautiful day here, if a bit chilly.

I went outside to check on the chooks and found Ollie, my rescue roo, taking a nap, standing up, under the hibiscus bush. He'd be so sleepy that he'd almost fall over, then wake himself up again. He looked so content, I just had to snap a pic.

Here's Ollie and Gracie:

[​IMG]

2. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    What kind of rooster is he? Looks like maybe one of those cornish x.

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:He is a cornish X, specifically a cobb on cobb.

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    [​IMG]

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG] That is so sweet, Kat.
    They look like they are doing pretty well!

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I trimmed the feathers away from my top hat's eyes tonight. It should be fun to watch them now that they can see!

Do you think they'll be content?

I just love this time of year. Highs in the mid 80s lows in the mid 50s.

Paradise!

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I dunno. My silkie was a bit more confused when I trimmed his crest. I think being able to see the world scared him. [​IMG]

We hit freezing last night. I am so not looking forward to another winter. Would love to figure out a way to spend winters in Florida.

8. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Quote:I dunno. My silkie was a bit more confused when I trimmed his crest. I think being able to see the world scared him. [​IMG]

We hit freezing last night. I am so not looking forward to another winter. Would love to figure out a way to spend winters in Florida.

Gritstar...speaking of freezing. I am up by I40 and the Arkansas River. At what point, temp, do I need to start closing up my coop? This is my first year with chickens. They don't seem bothered yet. Not yesterday or today with the temps. Thought I would ask since you are in the same area! tks.

9. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida

I have a back pasture. Pop up a tent, and you are welcome to come stay. I think our dogs would enjoy the company.
    but it got cold last year. I was surprised that you have a hibiscus. ours bit it.

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:My adult coop has two very large windows covered in hardware cloth; the south facing one is 4 ft. high x approx. 5 ft. wide, the north facing window is 4ft. high x 8 ft. wide. I generally close the shutters over the windows when nighttime temps. get down to 40 or below. I closed the north window last night as a matter of fact and it will most likely stay closed all winter unless we have a warm up. I left the south shutter opened just a crack. I likely won't close the south one all the way until we hit the 20s or lower. The adult coop has ventilation slats at the roofline.

My juvenile coop has two human sized doors on the front over two screened doors (also covered in hardware cloth), facing west. Those I am closing at night (as of last night), but probably won't close the small east facing window all winter as it's necessary for ventilation.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by