Ended Contest #4 Short Story Fiction Contest - 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong

Goldilocks looked up with her usual sour face and glanced around to be sure no other hens would come and steal the big worm she had just uprooted. She snapped it up in her beak, before anyone else could see, and then continued scratching and pecking at the ground.
Her one and only friend, a young Black Australorp named Lorpie, called over to her, "Guess what I've found!" She chirped. Goldilocks looked up from the ground into her friends excited eyes, "Well? What is it?" Her curt reply didn't faze Lorpie at all, who always seemed to like Goldi, even on her worst days. Instead she smiled, as only chickens can, and tilted her head towards the forest next to the little red hen house. "Come see."
As the entered into the cool forest, Goldi glanced around grumpily, but followed Lorpie anyway. After a moment, Lorpie motioned with her head, and Goldi's eyes followed her movement.
There in front of her was a small bush with big branches covering a perfect nesting spot. There was only one entry, and Goldi ducked her small golden head, then stepped carefully in. The grass was soft, and the branches covered the nest from wind and weather.
Hours passed and Goldilocks worked without stopping. Her softest feathers went into the base of the nest, and small leaves to make it soft. Finally, she sat dutifully down on her nest. Yet she was old, and no eggs were under her.
Lorpie soon noticed the situation, and gathered the small flock of seven hens. They had gathered rather reluctantly when they heard what the meeting was to be about, for Goldilocks wasn't the nicest chicken, but on the contrary, one of the worst-tempered chickens in the flock.
Checkers, a more elderly speckled chicken brought out this point. "Why should we help her? All she does is eat the best food and walk around acting like the queen." The other hens nodded their heads wisely in agreement, and the meeting was adjourned. There would be no eggs for Goldilocks.
Lorpie sighed as she watched the hens go back to their pecking, and then made up her mind. The hens watched in amazement as Lorpie appeared in the hen house door, rolling her precious egg carefully towards the forest. Surely, they thought, this young hen has lost her mind.
As Lorpie neared the nest, Goldilocks looked up in surprise, "What is this?" She asked, softly, Lorpie only smiled, and pushed the egg down into the nest, where Goldilocks gathered it up under her wings.
The next morning, when Goldilocks awoke from sleeping on her new egg, another wonder met her eyes. There in front of lay seven eggs. Carefully she gathered them under her wings.
A few weeks later, on a bright and sunny blue-sky morning, Goldilocks stood up off her nest where eight new fluffy chicks lay. They followed her out of the nest, and into the flock, where Goldilocks had finally gained her family and friends.
(Goldilocks Nesting area)

Last edited:
It was on a similar spring day that the sun was gleaming, melting the thin layer of crisp snow on the ground that I do recall my brothers and sisters. I, a Partridge Plymouth Rock, was enjoying the day by pecking at the bedding in our brooder and running with my other chick brothers and sisters, all 9 of them. It's hard to imagine how life plays things out for you.

The idea of getting chicks came along very spontaneously for my family. My 9 brothers and sisters and I were not exactly the plan for getting chickens that they hoped for. Us 10 chicks were all that were left from a feed store Easter chicks bin. The family was hoping to get the chicks a little later than they actually did because they didn't have everything arranged for the latest addition to the family. But they wanted chicks so bad that they made a quick brooder and got the remaining chicks. After all, it was their first chicks, so what better time for them than Easter? I believe there's a certain magic found in spring chicks. Now, that's not to say that other chicks aren't magical, but Easter chicks are certainly one-of-a-kind. Take it from me, I've gotten to know over 30 chickens!

We arrived to meet them with much joy and learning yet to come. The books and websites will only give you so much knowledge; us actual chickens give you another.

Soon we were learning to fly, crow, and growing our silky feathers. They spent hours each day just delighting in watching us in our daily activities. When we slept, we brought an air of peace to the room that was contagious. The whole family started to feel a connection to us, the little fluffballs. Who couldn't feel a connection to something so cute and innocent? While we grew, our caretakers went to work building us a spacious outdoor coop, complete with bugs!

I was a stinker from the very start. My owners were putting me in the brooder when I flew out of their hands! I've never lost my flying ability through the years. You could say it was innate for me.

We got old enough that our owners put us outside in our coop. I wasn't a big fan of being held and my owners would always try to pet me, but I ran away. Well, one time they finally succeeded. My owner held me and stroked me, and spoke gently to me as she was doing this. "Maybe she's not so bad," I thought. From then on, I didn't run away when she tried to pet me. Yeah, she's definitely a Crazy Chicken Lady, but she's my Crazy Chicken Lady.

Then there came this weird day when this oblong shaped thing came from my rump! My owner came in later that night and mentioned the word "egg" over and over again. She seemed pretty happy, so happy that she gave us some juicy worms the next day!

If it weren't for my Crazy Chicken Lady, I would have led a life with a normal owner, and how boring that would be!

Ms. Cluckles was an aging white hen and the barnyards resident spinster. She was well beyond her egg laying years and although she faithfully laid 200+ eggs a year in her prime, her eggs were always plucked from beneath her before they could hatch. Today she was in a fowl mood! She knew Easter was soon to come. Ms. Cluckles despised Easter and that nefarious "Easter Bunny"! Year after year, never once having laid a single egg, that rabbit hopped its way into children hearts everywhere. HOW? By delivering EGGS! She had long ago suspected "The Bunny" was to blame for the theft of her eggs! He could have at least left her one to hatch so she wouldn't be alone during her golden years. This year she had a plan to foil the bunnies last moment attempts at egg theft! No sleeping in this year! She scouted out the most uncomfortable nesting box in the yard. At sunset she took up her post! Resigned to catch the Easter Bunny in the act! But, alas, even the most uncomfortable nest was quite comfortable and Ms. Cluckles fell asleep. When the rooster crowed the next morning the white hen was quite alarmed! She had fallen asleep and was sure the bunny took all the eggs again this year! Imagine her shock to discover six beautiful eggs HATCHING underneath her! "How could this have happened?" she wondered as six the chicks, her chicks, began to hatch. Then she saw it. A blur of a figure leaving the hen house. Wait! Was that the Easter Bunny? To this day many a chicken can recount the number of times Ms. Cluckles told the story of the Easter the Easter Bunny delivered eggs and her chicks to her!
Cute and funny story:)

Hazel never really liked rabbits. Her owner never paid any attention to her when they came into the yard. She had gotten into the habit of chasing them out of the yard whenever they came. Rabbits never really came into the yard anymore after her reputation as a vicious beast got around, so waking up to a rabbit inside the nesting box surprised her. She immediately got off the roost and snapped at the rabbit, almost grabbing him. To her surprise, the rabbit just chuckled, winked, and disappeared into thin air. Forgetting the rabbit, Hazel looked inside the nesting box the rabbit was in. Inside were 6 beautiful brown eggs. Hazel immediately knew these were no ordinary eggs. She sat on them faithfully for 3 weeks. One morning, Hazel felt one of the eggs move. Looking underneath her, she saw 5 chicks and a pipped egg. She churred happily and tucked the chicks up against her sides. Hazel never chased another rabbit again.

Great idea rottnott1!

Once upon a time there was a little red hen called Penny, who, for as long as she could remember, had wanted a little chick of her own. She had watched the other hens successfully hatch and raise the most adorable little fluffballs she had ever seen, each time wondering how on Earth they had managed to do it. She herself had tried several times, but had always been disrupted by the bully rooster, Thorn. Thorn was known for pulling the hens’ tail feathers and teasing them until they cried, and Penny always wondered why the Farmer kept such a mean rooster. Then one day she finally discovered the reason.
She had been enviously watching one of the hens, Ivy, cuddling with her newly hatched chicks when all of a sudden a large brown hawk swooped down and grabbed Penny. Penny cried out with surprise and pain as the hawk’s sharp talons cut into her back. She was just about to abandon all hopes when, as fast as a lightning bolt, Thorn raced over and threw himself at the hawk, screeching and flapping. Startled, the hawk flew away in search of less troublesome prey, leaving Penny and Thorn alone.
Still very frightened, Penny stammered “Wh-why d-did you help m-me?”. Thorn answered her solemnly: “I was very sorry for having bullied you so, and today I finally got my chance to repay you for the damage I had caused. Now, come with me, we need to get you to the Farmer so that he can help you. And with that, Thorn gently led the still trembling Penny to the Farmer, who cared for her and treated her wounds.
Soon after that, Penny and Thorn fell in love, and to their surprise and delight, a month or so later penny laid her first three speckled eggs, dutifully sat on them for twenty one days, and hatched three beautiful golden chicks. They named them Flower, Flame, and Sally.
Thorn and Penny lived happily ever after, proudly raising together many more broods to come.

Once Upon a time there was a little baby chick who was only a few weeks old and Easter was coming up, he heard his Mother and Father talk about Easter coming and how it was very close but he just thought Easter was a name of a family member that was coming for this upcoming holiday, he did not know what the upcoming holiday was he rememberd that it was on April 5th this year. the day before the mystery holiday, he asked his mother saying, mother who is Easter? Easter? his mother said Easter is a holiday that is tomorrow. Oh! said Mr.Clucks i thought Easter was somebody coming for a some oh holiday tomorrow. It is not a some oh holiday Mr. Clucks it is a very imporant Holiday. Really? asked Mr.Clucks whats is Easter then? Easter, his mother said, is When Jesus died on the cross for our sins, and 3 days later he arose from the dead! Wow said Mr. Clucks. yep said his Mother Listsen could you do comething for me? Yes anything Said Mr.Clucks, Could you memorize a Bible verse for me, for Chruch tomorrow! Yes what Bible verse Mother? Here it is his Mother said, it is John 3:16
For God so loved the world that He gave his only Begotten Son that whosoever Believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
and that means if we ask Jesus into our hearts and confess our sins and live our life for him we can go to Heaven when we die. Okay Mother i will try my best to remember it! I am going outside and try to remember it.
Easter Morning!
Okay his Mother and Father said it was his turn to go and say his Bible verse in Chruch in front of everybody for The Easter service. after he recited his Bible verse which was
For God so loved the world that He gave his only Begotten Son that whosoever Believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
Great Job! his Father said, and a I Knew you could do it from his Mother. after Easter morning service they had a Easter egg hunt and a Easter dinner. Mr. Clucks had so much fun, and learned the real meaning of Easter, that its not all about Easter eggs and bunnys.
and they all lived Happliy Ever After!
THE END

Mr. Clucks

Buttercup reflected over the past few months, of what she had endured through the harsh South Dakota winter. The days are long inside a coop. She lived with twenty-four other hens. Buttercup longed for Spring when the door would be opened to allow the hens out of the coop, to scratch and peck the dark and cool soil. To find a juicy worm would be splendid, she thought. She was quickly snatched out of her leisure musings of sunny spring days, by Mrs. Pluckit opening the coop's door. Mrs. Pluckit had come to gather eggs. Buttercup gave up her egg willingly, but some hens dared to peck Mrs. Pluckit's hand as she gathered eggs. The sun was warm and the coop was beginning to be a bit stuffy. Life was okay; but more than anything, Buttercup longed to be a mother. Buttercup settled in for the night, with her head tucked under her wing and dreamed of little ones peeping.
The sun shown brightly through the windows, the next morning. She stretched and gave her wings a flap and started her daily routine. Spring had finally arrived. A chicken just knows when this special day arrives. Mrs. Pluckit came into the coop humming a tune as she gathered eggs. Even the rebellious of hens gave their eggs gladly today, as the spring feeling had seemed to calm all ruffled feathers. Mrs. Pluckit left the door open, as she turned to leave. The hens left the coop to experience the warm, sunny spring air.
Buttercup still had this one wish and was determined this time she would succeed. She ventured over to the hay shed and found a comfy spot to make a nest. Buttercup laid ten eggs, but this time Mrs. Pluckit left her eggs alone. She took care of her beloved eggs, looking forward to the day when her little ones would begin to peck their way out of the eggs. Peeping and pecking began to happen to all of Buttercup's eggs. Mrs. Pluckit came to check on her and Buttercup immediately puffed her feathers, as a warning to stay back. Mrs. Pluckit just chuckled and walked away. Finally, Buttercup had ten fluffy chicks to call her own. That night the chicks were all lovingly tucked under her wings.
The next day, Buttercup was awake early. Buttercup rose from her nest, clucking to her chicks as she went. All ten chicks darting here and there, but staying close to her side. A warm breeze began to blow softly, ruffling Buttercups feathers. The sunrise was even more beautiful than the day before. She was hungry and her family made their way over to the coop. Mrs. Pluckit was already there spreading tasty bits of grain on the ground and many hens were there busily eating. Buttercup was a proud mother as she clucked and guided her chicks to eating the scattered grain. Her chicks were full of energy. She would have a busy day and a good day indeed.

Last edited:

To say that Licorice was a rebel would be an understatement. The little bantam hen wandered about the chicken yard like she owned the place. In fact, Bugsy the Cockerel was at a loss on how to handle his precocious pullet. He tried in vain to temp her with treats and entice her with his romantic rooster dance. She snubbed him at every turn. The other hens gave her a wide berth even though she was the smallest girl on the farm. What she lacked in size, she made up in attitude. When it was time for bed, all of the chickens and ducks dutifully made their way back to their coops. Licorice, on the other hand, wanted nothing to do with domestication. At dusk, she could be found nestled on top of a graceful willow tree, the old red barn, or whatever secret hideout suited her fancy.
So, it did not come as a great shock that my girl went missing one day. One morning, after feeding time, I noticed that Licorice was absent from the flock. I checked some of her usual haunts to no avail. A feeling of dread filled my heart. A coyote must have finally crossed her trail. As the days followed, I would find myself reminiscing about my independent, little hen. Everything seemed somewhat duller without her sassy presence in the chicken pasture.
One day, as I poured a big bowl of turkey chow for Turkey Lurkey and Jive Turkey, I was struck by the overwhelming sense that I was being watched. I tentatively walked over and examined an old abandoned chicken coop directly behind me.
A small glimmer of hope welled up in my chest. I slowly lowered myself down and looked underneath. To my utter delight, I came face to face with my beloved Licorice! She had made an impressive nest underneath the old wreck of a building. She looked back at me with her inquisitive ebony eyes. I could swear that I saw a flicker of amusement on her face.
Surely she had watched me for the last couple of weeks from her hideout A smile spread across my face as the realization hit me. That evening, I reached inside her nest and candled one of her tiny, white eggs To my astonishment I could see the veins and body of a live chick in the light. My girl was full of surprises. Carefully I placed the egg back inside the nest. I counted twelve in the clutch.
Several days later, Licorice appeared plumped up and on high alert. Quiet peeping sounds could be heard inside her small nest.

On Easter morning, the proud momma emerged from underneath her shelter. Twelve, fuzzy black chicks followed in tow. Bugsy crowed loudly to announce their arrival. I’m not sure if chickens are capable of smiling, but my little rooster was one, proud daddy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom