A chicken will always remember the egg
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Woodland, CA
My Coop
My Coop
Are you ready for a Short Story Fiction Contest!

Give us your best Easter or Hatching fiction story!

1st Prize: $25 Amazon Gift Card donated by JDchicks
2nd Prize: Rooster Light switch cover donated by Cynthia12
LL

The top 10 entries will be chosen by judges
A poll will determine the winners

CONTEST RULES
1. The contest is open to ALL BYC U.S. resident members only (void where prohibited).

2. Limit of one entry per person.
3. Your story must be 500 words or fewer, NO EXCEPTIONS.

4. The Story must be Easter or hatching themed.
5. Your entry must include at least one photo or drawing.
6. Entries may NOT have been previously published or used in other contests.
7. Author's name should NOT appear anywhere on pages of story.

8. The deadline is March 25th, 2015 Midnight PST
9. Finally, because it’s your story be as funny, poignant, witty, and educated as you wish!
ENTRY DEADLINE
March 25th, 2015 Midnight PST Post your short story on this thread!

If you have not joined in the Easter Hatch-a-long, join us here:

Last edited by a moderator:
There once was a chick named, Blue.
blue chicks were few, and of those who looked like Blue, you would not find two.
Blue was surrounded by happiness and lived in a magical place,
But no matter how joyful was the happiest lady, with her treats and her laugh.
Or fun her happiest dog, who Blue would race, jump and follow around.
Blue wished for his mother, for his mother in the sky.

Early Easter morning, a star fell from above into the lady’s house,
The star looked like a glowing egg. It bounced on the rug, then pipped, stretched and hatched as quickly as a loon.
The First thing it saw was the beautiful face of a smiling moon.
“That must be my mother, but why is she so far?” He fretted and watched as she moved out of view. The moon smiled and winked, “Stay where you are, you are my littlest Blue star.”
In the came the lady, the lady and her dog, they brought with them the sun. She smiled so bright and promised him fun. “A chick such
as I've never seen, just look at that sheen. Your eyes, they seem to twinkle, but that can’t be true. I know what I’ll do, I’ll name you Blue.”

Every night He asked for his mother to come from afar, but she would just say, “Stay where you are, I love you, my littlest star.”
Since she wouldn’t leave the sky. Blue decided to go to her; he would just have to learn how to fly.
So practice he did, with the dog running next, the lady cheering him on, he would flap his small wings and he would do his best.
After much practice, one day He flew up into the sky, without even a goodbye.

The moon was startled to see him and frowned.
“It’s you,” said Blue “I love you moon Mother, I look like a chick, but I am your littlest star.”
The moon smiled but shook her head, and said, “But, littlest star, I sent you watch over the sad lady, the sad lady and her sad dog.”

“But the lady is happy!” cried Blue, “Happiest around…”

“Look, littlest star, look to the ground.”

Blue looked down, and was shocked. The lady was calling his name while making sad sounds. The dog had stopped running, laid his head on the ground. The lady and her dog, tears in their eyes, had been searching 'til dawn.

“I don’t understand, she’s always happy, the dog always fun.”

“Littlest star, the lady and her dog were very sad, I said stay where you are, though love you I do. Fore they were happy, happy because of you”

Blue returned to the ground, and there you’ll find Him still, standing his guard.
He’s no longer sad, as he crows goodbye to his mother at dawn
Welcoming the magical day, he stands in the fog, to watch over the happiest lady,
His lady and her dog.

“They’re at it again,” Miss Bess thought, slapping her hands together, shaking off excess flour. She was in the middle of rolling out biscuit dough for the rancher’s breakfast, and although the house was filled with hungry farm hands, she was unable to ask for help. Usually she didn’t mind her muteness, but she was worried about the girls in the coop and what all that clucking might mean. “Maybe I’ll get out there in time to see,” she thought, wiping her hands on a towel and making for the door.

Her chickens had been fussing all week, but every time she went out to investigate, they had cleared out of the coop. All but old Daisy, who had gone broody. “Fighting over the best spot to lay, I reckon,” Bess thought. “I guess you won?”

Daisy wasn’t Bess’ first chicken, but she was her favorite. She’d never forget the day she found her egg still warm amid the remains of a clutch, ravaged by a varmint of some sort. Bess’d carried it in her bosom for an hour before it cracked, the tiny barred rock scuttling inside her sweater. Little Jessica, the rancher’s daughter, laughed so hard at the sight she’d nearly wet herself. It had delighted them both to no end, and that meant so much, so soon after the untimely death of the little girl’s mother. The little girl and the chick were both close to her heart, there was no doubt about it.

Jessica was a wild thing, but she’d taken an interest in the chick, and helped find it a foster mama within the flock. They were watching the chick and its hatchmates when Jessica leaned into Bess’ side that first time, resting her head against her soft torso. Bess remembered it as though it were yesterday—the way the air had smelled: sweet, like mountain wildflowers and new grass. The way the sun had shone on her face and arms, warming her skin. The warmth and sweetness were nothing, though, compared to the way the little girl’s head had felt--tenderly fitting into her side, her hair fragrant with the scent of dandelions and hay. Jessica’s little arms grasped Bess in a hug. “I want to call her ‘Daisy,’ okay? You think she’ll be alright?”

Bess waited for the little one to look her in the eye, before nodding her head slowly. “All the little chicks will be alright,” she thought. “I’ll hold them close as long as they need.”

Now, once again, she found the coop deserted. Even Daisy was gone. Bess sighed, glancing around the barnyard for any sign of her. For no good reason, she poked her head back inside the coop to double check that she wasn’t hidden in the hay. In the far corner of the coop, something wiggled. A brown egg, all alone amid a clutch of broken eggshells. “Come to mama, little egg,” she thought, as she rescued it. “Bess has you.”

So my brother and I woke up on another Easter morning, as we walked down the stairs we heard my parents talking about something. Well we are VERY curious so we lurched down the stairs and glared at them holding in their hands something that we never have seen before. Giant eggs and we asked what that was and they said “you have to find all 500 eggs we hid around the house and property to see what’s in them.” So my brother and I set out on the adventure of finding the 500 eggs to see what was in the big eggs.
So after about 3 hours we found only 498 eggs and we kept looking and looking and looking. Well after about 8 hours we gave up and went inside and we were like WHERE ARE TH LAST 2 EGGS and then they handed us the 2 big eggs and we were like ARE YOU KIDDING ME WE SEARCHED FOR 8 HOURS. Then they said open the eggs so we opened them and inside was a little piece of paper from the local feedstore.
Finally, after about 10 minutes we arrived, and we kept asking what they were for, and of course they said just wait. We got inside and we could hear the little peeps in the back of the store. So the manager came up and said let me see those papers, he took them, went to the back, and came back with a box. He handed it to us and said open it so we did and inside was 12 chicks, 2 ducklings, 2 goslings, 2 peachicks, and 8 guinea fowl.
He then went back and grabbed a bag of chick feed, a heatlamp and bulb, a waterer, and a feeder. So we went home and got them snuggled in and we said to our parents “This was the best easter ever, thank you.”

Last edited:
The sun was shining brightly
And I could hardly wait
To ponder out my window
And gaze at my estate

The wind was blowing briskly
It made the flowers sway
The garden was enchanting
On this inspiring Easter day

My eyes fell upon a little bird, with a beautiful yellow bill.
I beckoned it to come and light my window sill.
The little birdy came over.
And I gave it a crust of bread.....

THEN IT CLAWED OUT MY EYEBALLS
AND PECKED A HOLE IN MY HEAD!!!!

Last edited:
"Mr. E! Mr. E!" Little Sister sped across the grassy yard. "It's just awful!"

Mr. E bounded out of his den. "What! What are you squawking about? Is it a hawk attack?"

Little Sister skidded to a halt in front of the Easter bunny. "It's much worse! Much worse! Big Sister was hit by a car while crossing the road!"

Mr. E's long ears flipped forward. "Crossing the road? Why on earth did she do that?"

Little Sister shook her head, her red wattles vibrating anxiously. "She saw a grasshopper and just had to go get it. Now we don't have her famously large eggs for the Easter Egg hunt. Mrs. Farmer will be so disappointed. You know how the kids love those large brown eggs Big Sister lays."

Long ears flipping nervously, Mr. E whispered, "Is Big Sister still alive?"

Little Sister gave her glorious black feathers a shake. "Mrs. Farmer scooped her up and took her to the veterinarian. There was so much blood!"

Mr. E paced in a circle, laying his ears along his back as he spoke. "You'll have to get the Marans Triplets in line, Little Sister. Those pullets have been lazy lately, but Curly Sue lays a fine dark brown egg that the kids will like. Tell Steele to make them work."

Little Sister raised her hackle feathers. "I'll be the one to talk to those girls. Steele is worthless. He can't see past his glorious wattles."

"Go to it," Mr E said with a sage nod. "I must to groom my fur so I'll look good for the Easter Party in three weeks."

Little Sister nodded and marched across the yard, crowing for the hens to come to an emergency meeting. In the coop she paced along the roost as she shared the terrible news of Big Sister. Although she was the smallest Jersey Giant in the flock, she was known to get nasty if provoked. All the hens listened as Little Sister lectured the Marans Triplets on the importance of laying on schedule.

Later in the day, Mrs. Farmer came to the coop, her fingers folded over a small object. The hens rushed to her as she sat down. Little Sister ran to her, looked her in the eye and knew the news was not good.

Tears rolling down her cheeks, Mrs. Farmer presented a large brown egg. "This is all that is left of Big Sister. The doctor did all she could but Big Sister just wasn't able to make it. Somehow she laid this egg just before she passed. My incubator is broken so I'm going to place this egg in a nest. I know none of your girls are broody as you all have been laying such fine eggs for the Easter party. So I place this egg in the nest box and hope for a miracle."

Little Sister knew what she had to do. She watched Mrs. Farmer place the egg on the hay. Without a cluck, she marched to the box and carefully settled her body on the brown egg.

Mrs. Farmer smiled. "Looks like you might be the miracle I need. Good luck, Little Sister."

So Little Sister settled down to brood the egg. She was sure she was doing everything wrong but she remained on the nest. Mrs. Farmer put food and water nearby so she wouldn't have to leave the nest for long.

As Little Sister sat, plans for the party went on. Mr. E had groomed himself to perfection and was placed so the children could see him while listening to the story of the Easter Bunny. After the story, the egg hunt started and the laughter of children filled the air.

In the cool darkness of the coop, Little Sister sat quietly. The egg under her moved. A crack formed. She listened to the peeping in the egg and waited. When the shell cracked again, she ever so carefully rolled the egg. The crack widened and a black beak broke through. Peeping frantically, the chick struggled. Little Sister pressed her beak across the shell and the egg cracked further.

With a final kick, the chick managed to push out of the shell and gasp for air. Little Sister flung the shell from the nest. Outside, the Easter party continued and the patter of fast feet could be heard with the laughter. The air in the coop was quiet as a tiny little chick managed to raise her head.

"Hello," Little Sister clucked softly to the chick. "I think I'll call you Miracle."

Edited to add no animals, humans, or insects were harmed in the creation of this story.

Last edited:
The windshield wipers were working at their maximum as I strained my eyes to negotiate the twists and curves of an old mountain road leading to a little known hatchery in the mountains of North Georgia. We were on our way to pick up our first layers for the coop I spent months designing and building.

Our instructions were simple: we were to turn left off the parkway onto Chickadee Lane and travel a short distance until the road ended. The odometer informed me that it had been 25 miles since our left turn and our GPS system had no clue as to where we were.

The instructions had to be wrong. I was about to turn around when we pierced the curtain of rain and immediately found ourselves on a gorgeous mountain top with the sun completely un-obstructed. A small hobble was less than 100 yards away. The brilliant colors surrounding us made everything look magical.

Greeting us was a crooked little man with a crooked little cat circling about his feet.

My wife, she who must be obeyed, was captivated. She explained to the little man that our children are grown, on their own and it was our desire to start a new but very special family.

With a twinkle in his eye: “Special, I can do”, was his reply. Magically appearing out of nowhere he offered us five incredible hens

stating that one special hen was an Easter Egger. We had no idea what that meant but figured we’d soon learn. We drove off with our fowl brood cackling along the way.

Our Easter Egger was the first to deliver an oblong piece of joy. The color was beautiful and special. Our first; therefore, this one would be allowed to hatch. While the rest of our brood supplied breakfast, ingredients for cakes, dough and other treats we kept a watchful eye over our special little egg.

It seemed like an eternity but alas we noticed some slight movement and a tiny pecking noise coming from the egg. The cracks in the shell began to widen. The two of us watched as the miracle of life unfolded before us. My mind raced back to the arrival of our first born more than thirty years ago. The feeling was identical only this time the beast that walks upright was not cursing me and wishing me dead.

We stared in awe at our first hatchling: it was indeed a miracle. It was Easter Sunday and we were looking at a Bunny, an Easter Bunny we joked!

Over the years each clutch has grown. We now have more than one hundred chickens but only the one bunny which mysteriously disappears on the Sunday immediately following the first full moon after the vernal equinox.

We have been unable to find Chickadee Lane again so every spring we just give thanks to the crooked little man from that magical mountain top for now we do have a very special family.

Last edited:
Eggetha woke to the sound of Eggberts crow in the distance, high above on the rooftops. She opened her eyes and hopped off the roost just as the sun was peaking over the horizon. A sweet dew would have gathered on her favorite shrub and she would need to get walking if she was going to make it there before it dried. Step by step, head wobbling the whole way, she found her shrub. Drips glistening from the leaves she made her way to the back where all the sweetest flowers grew.

She jumped in surprise when she saw the fluffy tail of a bunny running through a hole the fence. She ran to the hole and poked her head through just in time to see a streak of what had to be pink, blue, and green. Now Eggetha has seen a few bunnies in her day but none that were colored like this.

Still a little confused Eggetha pulled her head back through the hole, and went back to her morning treat. She turned, head down as to not get poked by a low growing twig, and there on the ground was an egg. This egg was different than any Eggetha had ever seen. It was sitting up against the base of her shrub. She gingerly approached the odd egg, and inspected it from side to side, up and down. It was very odd indeed.

This egg was yellow, or maybe it was pink, it’s hard to say since the whole egg had spots and stripes, zig zags and swirls of every color covering the entire surface. Its beauty mesmerized Eggetha. She couldn’t pull her attention away from it until she heard the familiar sound of her dearest human and the small ones coming out to play. They sounded very excited and when she poked her head around the bush she saw one of the small ones running towards! He was coming very fast and had a large colorful basket in one hand.

Next thing she knew the small one had reached her shrub and was inspecting all around. Eggetha panicked, he would see the egg! She looked back and forth trying to decide what to do, but before she could the small one had snatched her beautiful egg up and was breaking it apart, eating what appeared to be candy from inside of it. Eggetha’s heart broke. Her head hung low when she heard a small thump on the ground. She looked and there laid the colorful empty shell of her egg under the sweetest flowers of her shrub. She looked inside; the empty shell had filled with the dew from the sweetest flowers from above.

Last edited:
Lucy was determined she was getting out of the pen. She was very lonely and in need of some love. Lucy waited until her owner open the door to her pen and ambushed her escaping at the last moment. Lucy went as quick as she could down the old dirt road to find a rowdy mate. She knew she would find what she was looking for near by. She could hear him cockle doodle do every morning. The sound of his sweet music was unforgettable. The sun was just coming up over the hill and the sound she was waiting to hear now filled her heart with joy. She knew she was getting closer as she made her way around the sharp turn in the road.She could not believe her eyes. There was different colored eggs all over the beautiful green field in front of her. She saw a little red barn. Setting on top of this little red barn was the most handsome rooster she had ever saw. As she got closer she could feel the stares of the hens that were attending to the colorful eggs. She made her way to her handsome rooster. It was love at first sight. Lucy became the queen of Easter Field where the Easter Bunny gets all of his beautiful eggs for all the children around the world.

Last edited:
The grownups called Uncle Marc "eccentric". We'd also heard he was a Vietnam Vet, which I thought at the time must be someone who worked with animals.
Most of my relatives liked Christmas. You knew exactly what to expect from Christmas and it always fell on December 25th every year.
Uncle Marc's favorite holiday was Easter. Easter was wilder, rebellious enough to fall sometimes in March, sometimes in April. Easter was a lot like Uncle Marc.
Rumor had it that he'd once had a broken engagement, with the lady involved becoming so angry with him, she’d tossed the ring into my grandparent's cow pasture.
Uncle Marc had no taste for the grownup table, with stuffy relatives passing around pots of coffee and dollops of gossip. He seemed tolerant of us kids, though.
His greatest talent was putting on an elaborate egg hunt every year at Easter.
Our parents might try to hover, but when it was time for the hunt, Uncle Marc would ease into the background and let the children find their own way.
My sisters began the race by shoving me. As I tumbled into the hydrangeas, I discovered a teal egg at the base of the bush.

"Found One!" I cried in my six-year-old voice. "I found the first egg".
The others scrambled across the giant farm yard of my grandparent's old home. I looked on in horror. Much running and pushing ensued. I trotted over to the others, each greedily snatching the rainbow of eggs I so coveted.
I couldn't believe how quickly my family could find a hundred colored eggs. Every time I ran toward one, someone else beat me to it.
The hunt was almost over. My eyes began to water.

I looked around, and saw a sparkle.

There! It was not an egg, but a ring, with a stone that sparkled.
I brought it close to my face.
Uncle Marc smiled "Picking up bugs again, Kiddo?"
He examined the treasure I'd found, emotions working across his face as he came to realize what I was holding.

He slowly took it from me, the diamond shone brilliantly as if twenty years hadn’t passed.
Then, Uncle Marc put the ring back into my hand "You keep it, kiddo, you found it."

Later, around my grandmother's kitchen table, Cousin Ben was declared the winner.

I realized that what Uncle Marc had let me keep was far more valuable than any of the eggs. It was a symbol of who he was, before he had retreated from the world into his own shell.
Uncle Marc had hidden parts of himself from the world. He shared what he could of himself with his Easter egg hunts.
Before we left, Cousin Ben handed me a delicious Cream Egg, with a wink.
Better than candy, Uncle Marc was my favorite part of Easter.

I'm in my thirties now. Every year that goes by, I still miss Uncle Marc and his egg hunts.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom