Contest #4 Short Story Fiction Contest - 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong

Ms. Cluckles was an aging white hen and the barnyards resident spinster. She was well beyond her egg laying years and although she faithfully laid 200+ eggs a year in her prime, her eggs were always plucked from beneath her before they could hatch. Today she was in a fowl mood! She knew Easter was soon to come. Ms. Cluckles despised Easter and that nefarious "Easter Bunny"! Year after year, never once having laid a single egg, that rabbit hopped its way into children hearts everywhere. HOW? By delivering EGGS! She had long ago suspected "The Bunny" was to blame for the theft of her eggs! He could have at least left her one to hatch so she wouldn't be alone during her golden years. This year she had a plan to foil the bunnies last moment attempts at egg theft! No sleeping in this year! She scouted out the most uncomfortable nesting box in the yard. At sunset she took up her post! Resigned to catch the Easter Bunny in the act! But, alas, even the most uncomfortable nest was quite comfortable and Ms. Cluckles fell asleep. When the rooster crowed the next morning the white hen was quite alarmed! She had fallen asleep and was sure the bunny took all the eggs again this year! Imagine her shock to discover six beautiful eggs HATCHING underneath her! "How could this have happened?" she wondered as six the chicks, her chicks, began to hatch. Then she saw it. A blur of a figure leaving the hen house. Wait! Was that the Easter Bunny? To this day many a chicken can recount the number of times Ms. Cluckles told the story of the Easter the Easter Bunny delivered eggs and her chicks to her!
Cute and funny story:)

The day she hatched she knew she was different. Her classmates tried not to say anything rude, but she knew the look in their eyes. She'd seen it in her father's, in her grandmother's, her grandfather's. Her mother had begged them, clucking away and begging forgiveness for producing such a horror.

She remembered the knowing look between her grandparents. And she remembered her father's words.

"We don't care if she has a cottony tail."

The young girl bit down on her bottom lip as she sat down on her bed. Her hands clasped on her lap, fingers twiddling with anticipation. Her gaze ping-ponged from her floor over to her closet, then back down to her floor. It had been almost a month since she had placed the incubator in the closet, and she knew that any minute she would hear little tiny peeping noises. Her thumbs rotated faster and faster before she couldn't stand it any longer. She had to take a peek! Quickly getting up, she dashed over towards the closet, sliding it open to turn the light on and peer into the incubator. The round contents inside were slowly beginning to rotate! The girl's eyes lit up in response. She quickly reached over to lift the lid, but had to tell herself that she wasn't allowed to. To do something like that at this point would be considered a sin.

However, the shuffling about was growing more frequent, and the girl was satisfied that she at least had the light to keep her eyes glued on the twitching eggs. Soon she would see a few cracks starting to take place alongside the edges of the shells; little beaks peaking out, followed by heads. In fact, one of the chicks was already beginning the struggle to release itself from the shell.

Determination was setting in, and the little chick had one goal: to get its freedom. The girl watched the entire process test her patience as the crack in the egg grew bigger and bigger. Her feet stomped lightly on the carpet, and a small squeal of excitement escaped her lips as she noticed a small head pop out from within the egg. The little creature attempted to lift itself up, causing more of the shell to break. It looked up at her, blinking its beady eyes, the top of its head looking like it had some sort of funky hairdo. Opening it's beak, it let out a little 'peep', searching around to check on the progress of its companions. Some were just beginning to pick at their own eggs; others halfway through the race. The girl clapped with excitement as she stared down at the partially-covered chick, her own eye lit up with surprise and wonder. It wouldn't be long before the entire incubator would be singing with little ones!

Last edited:
Hazel never really liked rabbits. Her owner never paid any attention to her when they came into the yard. She had gotten into the habit of chasing them out of the yard whenever they came. Rabbits never really came into the yard anymore after her reputation as a vicious beast got around, so waking up to a rabbit inside the nesting box surprised her. She immediately got off the roost and snapped at the rabbit, almost grabbing him. To her surprise, the rabbit just chuckled, winked, and disappeared into thin air. Forgetting the rabbit, Hazel looked inside the nesting box the rabbit was in. Inside were 6 beautiful brown eggs. Hazel immediately knew these were no ordinary eggs. She sat on them faithfully for 3 weeks. One morning, Hazel felt one of the eggs move. Looking underneath her, she saw 5 chicks and a pipped egg. She churred happily and tucked the chicks up against her sides. Hazel never chased another rabbit again.

Great idea rottnott1!

Callie flicked her tail then sat down, her gaze falling on the kittens as she cleaned her paw lazily. "You really want to hear the story again?" She asked, gentle laughter in her tone. "Alright, listen well" She said and settled into place to begin the story.

"It happened long ago, the day when the children came out in the spring to search for the colorful eggs. I was searching too, hoping to find a nice meal but instead finding these eggs everywhere. I was still young enough to want to play with these strange colorful eggs and started batting one around the yard. It hit one of the tree roots and cracked. I was immediately sorry and went over, sitting down and curling around the egg. Then the most surprising thing happened, there was another crack, then another and soon there was a tiny little chick curled up and drying under my fur." Callie paused and smiled, glancing over to the hen before resuming her story. "The children soon found us, calling to the adults to come see. After all how often does a cat become a mother to a chicken? When the adults took the chick, I followed them inside, laying down to curl up with my chick and letting the others come to lay down with me too. At first the adults thought I was going to hurt the chicks, but they soon realized that I wouldn't and let me stay with them. They called it a miracle, so that is what I named my chick, Miracle. Always be careful what you play with kittens, it may change your life forever." She looked to the faces of her kittens, reaching over to lick one tiny head. "Happy Easter" She said then glanced to her chick, now a lovely hen, and smiled again "Happy Easter, my chick, my Miracle" She purred as Miracle came over to snuggle against her side as she had done since the day she had hatched. "Happy Easter, mother"

Back
Top Bottom