Ended Contest #4 Short Story Fiction Contest - 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong

Lucas looked at the egg in his hand. It was still warm, there was a pip hole on one end. It was two days after Easter and this was the only one that did't make it. Got this far and just couldn't make it out he thought.

He hatched on Easter every year, just like his grandma had. Some of his happiest memories were Easters spent with his grandparents. Easter morning he and his sister would run downstairs to watch the incubator. The wooden incubator was in a back storage room and it seemed magical and ancient even then. There was a large window and they could watch everything. Sometimes Easter morning there were only pip holes, but occasionally there were one or two early birds already out. They were glued to the incubator like his kids were glued to the ipad.

It was captivating watching wiggling eggs, breaking shells and of course the chicks were more exciting than anything they could think of. Except for the candy baskets that they got after going to church. The bounty of candy was enjoyed back at the incubator so they could keep watching the excitement.

Late in the evening Grandma would come in and announce it was time for bed. Lucas and his sister knew the ploy. They would plead and whine till grandma let them hold a chick. Grandma would quickly open the lid and snatch out two of the healthiest chicks. Both children would loose control squealing and jumping till the chicks landed in their cupped hands.

Lucas would stare into the chicks eyes and think up a name, he liked fast names like lighting and speedy. His sister usually named them fluffy or corn ball, something cute and girly. Lucas' grandma would let them hold the chicks for a moment. Then she'd put them back saying they needed to rest and once back she'd shoo the children to bed.

When he was 9 Lucas' grandma passed away and after a time of sadness things resumed a normal routine. Till Easter morning, Lucas jumped out of bed and ran into the kitchen. His parents were making breakfast and seemed quite surprised. Lucas was surprised to see HIS parents and HIS kitchen, this Easter was new and foreign.

As it all sank in to his young mind he took a deep breath in but the air caught in his chest, he struggled to breath and quickly became bawling. Lucas cried all day. He was inconsolable; he did not stop to eat; he cried until early evening exhaustion gave way and he sobbed himself to sleep. The next morning he was still sad but he was done crying. The following year his dad incubated some eggs a tradition that Lucas kept going from then on.

Many decades later he had remembered the tradition but had let the reason slip from mind. As the egg cooled in his hand those tears from many years before returned.

Last edited:
Lucas looked at the egg in his hand. It was still warm, there was a pip hole on one end. It was two days after Easter and this was the only one that did't make it. Got this far and just couldn't make it out he thought.

He hatched on Easter every year, just like his grandma had. Some of his happiest memories were Easters spent with his grandparents. Easter morning he and his sister would run downstairs to watch the incubator. The wooden incubator was in a back storage room and it seemed magical and ancient even then. There was a large window and they could watch everything. Sometimes Easter morning there were only pip holes, but occasionally there were one or two early birds already out. They were glued to the incubator like his kids were glued to the ipad.

It was captivating watching wiggling eggs, breaking shells and of course the chicks were more exciting than anything they could think of. Except for the candy baskets that they got after going to church. The bounty of candy was enjoyed back at the incubator so they could keep watching the excitement.

Late in the evening Grandma would come in and announce it was time for bed. Lucas and his sister knew the ploy. They would plead and whine till grandma let them hold a chick. Grandma would quickly open the lid and snatch out two of the healthiest chicks. Both children would loose control squealing and jumping till the chicks landed in their cupped hands.

Lucas would stare into the chicks eyes and think up a name, he liked fast names like lighting and speedy. His sister usually named them fluffy or corn ball, something cute and girly. Lucas' grandma would let them hold the chicks for a moment. Then she'd put them back saying they needed to rest and once back she'd shoo the children to bed.

When he was 9 Lucas' grandma passed away and after a time of sadness things resumed a normal routine. Till Easter morning, Lucas jumped out of bed and ran into the kitchen. His parents were making breakfast and seemed quite surprised. Lucas was surprised to see HIS parents and HIS kitchen, this Easter was new and foreign.

As it all sank in to his young mind he took a deep breath in but the air caught in his chest, he struggled to breath and quickly became bawling. Lucas cried all day. He was inconsolable; he did not stop to eat; he cried until early evening exhaustion gave way and he sobbed himself to sleep. The next morning he was still sad but he was done crying. The following year his dad incubated some eggs a tradition that Lucas kept going from then on.

Many decades later he had remembered the tradition but had let the reason slip from mind. As the egg cooled in his hand those tears from many years before returned.
Nice job!

The grownups called Uncle Marc "eccentric". We'd also heard he was a Vietnam Vet, which I thought at the time must be someone who worked with animals.
Most of my relatives liked Christmas. You knew exactly what to expect from Christmas and it always fell on December 25th every year.
Uncle Marc's favorite holiday was Easter. Easter was wilder, rebellious enough to fall sometimes in March, sometimes in April. Easter was a lot like Uncle Marc.
Rumor had it that he'd once had a broken engagement, with the lady involved becoming so angry with him, she’d tossed the ring into my grandparent's cow pasture.
Uncle Marc had no taste for the grownup table, with stuffy relatives passing around pots of coffee and dollops of gossip. He seemed tolerant of us kids, though.
His greatest talent was putting on an elaborate egg hunt every year at Easter.
Our parents might try to hover, but when it was time for the hunt, Uncle Marc would ease into the background and let the children find their own way.
My sisters began the race by shoving me. As I tumbled into the hydrangeas, I discovered a teal egg at the base of the bush.

"Found One!" I cried in my six-year-old voice. "I found the first egg".
The others scrambled across the giant farm yard of my grandparent's old home. I looked on in horror. Much running and pushing ensued. I trotted over to the others, each greedily snatching the rainbow of eggs I so coveted.
I couldn't believe how quickly my family could find a hundred colored eggs. Every time I ran toward one, someone else beat me to it.
The hunt was almost over. My eyes began to water.

I looked around, and saw a sparkle.

There! It was not an egg, but a ring, with a stone that sparkled.
I brought it close to my face.
Uncle Marc smiled "Picking up bugs again, Kiddo?"
He examined the treasure I'd found, emotions working across his face as he came to realize what I was holding.

He slowly took it from me, the diamond shone brilliantly as if twenty years hadn’t passed.
Then, Uncle Marc put the ring back into my hand "You keep it, kiddo, you found it."

Later, around my grandmother's kitchen table, Cousin Ben was declared the winner.

I realized that what Uncle Marc had let me keep was far more valuable than any of the eggs. It was a symbol of who he was, before he had retreated from the world into his own shell.
Uncle Marc had hidden parts of himself from the world. He shared what he could of himself with his Easter egg hunts.
Before we left, Cousin Ben handed me a delicious Cream Egg, with a wink.
Better than candy, Uncle Marc was my favorite part of Easter.

I'm in my thirties now. Every year that goes by, I still miss Uncle Marc and his egg hunts.

This is awesome!!! This should srsly be a book!

Girls Rule
Many yrs ago, there lived two dachshunds, named Coco and Bella, who ruled their backyard and patrolled it daily.

They were very territorial and gave any trespassing squirrels and birds a good scolding. Then one day the lady of the land brought home 4 little chickens and nothing was ever the same again. First Bella got her nose pecked, there was a YIKE!!!! and she never messed with the chickens again. Now Coco was a different story since she was a alpha dog and she would never consent to share her backyard or FOOD with the other new girls. One day the lady was feeding all some leftovers and Tara the PBR got too close and Coco gave her a gruff nip and came away with a mouthful of feathers. Now Tara kept eating but went back and told all her friends. Of course they all became very concerned. You see Trudy was broody and sitting on a lovely nest of eggs that should never be disturbed by one rowdy doxie. The girls made a plan and brought it about a few days later when the lady let the doxies out into the yard. Tara led the pack with Sparkle and Speedy right behind her while Trudy tended the eggs. They cornered that ornery Coco and chased her back into the house pecking her all the way. From that day on, the foursome ruled the backyard and the lady had to lock up all the chickens so the doxies could go out to play.
Now everyone knows who really rules the backyard and Trudy continues to be broody and raises lovely little chicks all safe and sound in the yard.

Last edited:
Once upon a time there was a little red hen called Penny, who, for as long as she could remember, had wanted a little chick of her own. She had watched the other hens successfully hatch and raise the most adorable little fluffballs she had ever seen, each time wondering how on Earth they had managed to do it. She herself had tried several times, but had always been disrupted by the bully rooster, Thorn. Thorn was known for pulling the hens’ tail feathers and teasing them until they cried, and Penny always wondered why the Farmer kept such a mean rooster. Then one day she finally discovered the reason.
She had been enviously watching one of the hens, Ivy, cuddling with her newly hatched chicks when all of a sudden a large brown hawk swooped down and grabbed Penny. Penny cried out with surprise and pain as the hawk’s sharp talons cut into her back. She was just about to abandon all hopes when, as fast as a lightning bolt, Thorn raced over and threw himself at the hawk, screeching and flapping. Startled, the hawk flew away in search of less troublesome prey, leaving Penny and Thorn alone.
Still very frightened, Penny stammered “Wh-why d-did you help m-me?”. Thorn answered her solemnly: “I was very sorry for having bullied you so, and today I finally got my chance to repay you for the damage I had caused. Now, come with me, we need to get you to the Farmer so that he can help you. And with that, Thorn gently led the still trembling Penny to the Farmer, who cared for her and treated her wounds.
Soon after that, Penny and Thorn fell in love, and to their surprise and delight, a month or so later penny laid her first three speckled eggs, dutifully sat on them for twenty one days, and hatched three beautiful golden chicks. They named them Flower, Flame, and Sally.
Thorn and Penny lived happily ever after, proudly raising together many more broods to come.

Once upon a time there was a little red hen called Penny, who, for as long as she could remember, had wanted a little chick of her own. She had watched the other hens successfully hatch and raise the most adorable little fluffballs she had ever seen, each time wondering how on Earth they had managed to do it. She herself had tried several times, but had always been disrupted by the bully rooster, Thorn. Thorn was known for pulling the hens’ tail feathers and teasing them until they cried, and Penny always wondered why the Farmer kept such a mean rooster. Then one day she finally discovered the reason. She had been enviously watching one of the hens, Ivy, cuddling with her newly hatched chicks when all of a sudden a large brown hawk swooped down and grabbed Penny. Penny cried out with surprise and pain as the hawk’s sharp talons cut into her back. She was just about to abandon all hopes when, as fast as a lightning bolt, Thorn raced over and threw himself at the hawk, screeching and flapping. Startled, the hawk flew away in search of less troublesome prey, leaving Penny and Thorn alone. Still very frightened, Penny stammered “Wh-why d-did you help m-me?”. Thorn answered her solemnly: “I was very sorry for having bullied you so, and today I finally got my chance to repay you for the damage I had caused. Now, come with me, we need to get you to the Farmer so that he can help you. And with that, Thorn gently led the still trembling Penny to the Farmer, who cared for her and treated her wounds. Soon after that, Penny and Thorn fell in love, and to their surprise and delight, a month or so later penny laid her first three speckled eggs, dutifully sat on them for twenty one days, and hatched three beautiful golden chicks. They named them Flower, Flame, and Sally. Thorn and Penny lived happily ever after, proudly raising together many more broods to come.
Nice job! :D

Some very nice and well done stories here! Love the imagination, and some, are actually based on real life stories. Nice job!

Once Upon a time there was a little baby chick who was only a few weeks old and Easter was coming up, he heard his Mother and Father talk about Easter coming and how it was very close but he just thought Easter was a name of a family member that was coming for this upcoming holiday, he did not know what the upcoming holiday was he rememberd that it was on April 5th this year. the day before the mystery holiday, he asked his mother saying, mother who is Easter? Easter? his mother said Easter is a holiday that is tomorrow. Oh! said Mr.Clucks i thought Easter was somebody coming for a some oh holiday tomorrow. It is not a some oh holiday Mr. Clucks it is a very imporant Holiday. Really? asked Mr.Clucks whats is Easter then? Easter, his mother said, is When Jesus died on the cross for our sins, and 3 days later he arose from the dead! Wow said Mr. Clucks. yep said his Mother Listsen could you do comething for me? Yes anything Said Mr.Clucks, Could you memorize a Bible verse for me, for Chruch tomorrow! Yes what Bible verse Mother? Here it is his Mother said, it is John 3:16
For God so loved the world that He gave his only Begotten Son that whosoever Believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
and that means if we ask Jesus into our hearts and confess our sins and live our life for him we can go to Heaven when we die. Okay Mother i will try my best to remember it! I am going outside and try to remember it.
Easter Morning!
Okay his Mother and Father said it was his turn to go and say his Bible verse in Chruch in front of everybody for The Easter service. after he recited his Bible verse which was
For God so loved the world that He gave his only Begotten Son that whosoever Believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
Great Job! his Father said, and a I Knew you could do it from his Mother. after Easter morning service they had a Easter egg hunt and a Easter dinner. Mr. Clucks had so much fun, and learned the real meaning of Easter, that its not all about Easter eggs and bunnys.
and they all lived Happliy Ever After!
THE END

Mr. Clucks

Back
Top Bottom