Ended Tell Us Your Funniest Chicken Story to Win Six Bags of Feed from Nutrena!

I started raising chickens 4 years ago, they were very friendly, specialy my golden comet Adele.
One morning, in the summer she found her way inside the house and I let her explore for a while...
She found a fruit basket and sat in it with an air of content... Little we knew ... She laid an egg!! right there in my kitchen on the counter top !! after that day she would come every morning and peck at the kitchen french door for us to open the door to her and she would jump in her basket on the counter to lay her egg while we had breakfast !!

My daughter comes in from closing up the coop one night and announces, "Mom, one of the chickens is missing." I ask, "Are you sure?" and before I have time to stand up, she is back announcing, "There is a chicken on the roof!"

Yes, there was Dorothy, not our brightest, who has managed to get on the roof of the coop, but now does not know how to get down. I grab a long pole and try to force her down, but she strolls to the opposite side and prepares to jump into the neighbor’s yard.

We stand on the ground, begging her to come down, even trying to bribe her with feed, which she is dutifully ignoring.

She plops down, closes her eyes, and seems as if she is calling it a night on top of the roof! We call for my dad, who lives next door, and has considerably more experience with chickens. He comes out, stands on his deck and proclaims, "Well, you have a chicken on your roof!"

Dorothy seems to rally a bit and comes to the edge, looks down, like the divers in the Olympics, looks down, looks out at the distance, and then jumps. She takes flight and seems to be almost to the edge of our roofline, but misses and instead crashes to the ground. I’m sure she is dead after having committed suicide. Instead, there is crazy Dorothy, upright, rather stunned, but making her way into the chicken coop!

I will tell you the story of when Emma met Mater.
This is Mater. He is a very large hatchery rooster. He is a character for sure. He loves to spar the tall black boots we wear into the run, especially with my DH, who practices his Taekwondo blocks with him, (a video of that would certainly win the contest).
He often does a little good morning dance right before he exits the coop, (the rooster not the husband!) especially if its a pretty morning.
Mater is very fierce, he has kicked several foxes out of the run and he has intimidated me on several occasions. None of my flock has ever perished due to a predator. I have thought for the longest time that a blue broom was the only thing he was afraid of. He has a great sense of humor and pays close attention to who is wearing those boots. If its me and he spars them there is a chance of him getting a good smack with a blue broom.
One night I went into the coop area to count my chickens. I'm never really sure how many I have but I know all of them by face and feature. I noticed that he was not there, anywhere. I was in my pajammas, with a fluffy white robe and a glass of wine and those boots on looking under the nesters, in the dark corner, under the roosts, behind the crate...all with my robe on and my wine. Finally i sadly figured he was a gonner and I turned around to close up and leave the coop. When I turned around and there he was! on the gate quietly watching me. lol.
Well, we recently got a little Aussie Olde English sheep dog mix mutt, Emma. She is about 6 weeks old and she goes with me to check the chickens and do my rounds. We also have two retrievers that are scared of the chickens. So Emma was busy looking for chicken poop and then she noticed Mater on the gate watching her.
Well,right then- using the advantage of surprise, Mater jumped off the gate and right into the maint area where Emma the pup was watching him. She started -right away- (like any self respecting fur ball), bouncing and barking up a storm at him.
This huge, probably 18 pound, very fierce rooster was suddenly franitcally slapping and flapping his long wings in pure terror to get back on the gate. Emma went right after him jumping and pulling him back down every time he got a little lift and he was shrieking and begging me to intercede- (with his terrified eyes).
Finally I got over my amazement and grabbed him out of the air and held him close and explained that she was just as scared as he was.
There is no chance that I'm gonna believe that, he seemed to think, and he gathered his pride and carefully walked straight to his normal roost and has refused to look directly at Emma ever since.
That evening episode was way funnier than the time my son whizzed a bologna slice into the chicken run and it landed on Maters back and Mater hunkered down with that air of "the Eagle has just landed" attitude and a hasty prayer as he prepared to meet his Maker.
This is Emma
318713_4706739076410_707016924_n.jpg

Last edited:
I was out side taking care of the animals. My yard is cross fenced & the chickens have there area & the dogs have there area & so on. The chickens & the dogs always check each other out through the chain link fence - smell each other & so on. This day my sexlink & one of my dogs seemed to have a special interest in each other. If the dog moved away from the fence the chicken would pace the fence line to try & get as close as she could to him. The dog in turn would go to the chicken & they started the whole smell, lick & stare contest again. This went on for a while. The other dogs & chickens came & went but the original two kept at it. The dog at one point stood up, pressed his nose into the fence - got as close as he could to the hen & barked. The hen jumped, squawked & pecked the dog on the end of the nose. There was a yelp & im pretty sure his eyes crossed. He stood there with this amazed look on his face. The hen fluffed her feathers & strutted away like she was queen. Never a dull moment around here.

Well, This morning I went outside to let the chickens and other birds out to free-range. As I let them out I started throwing seed and I turned around to see my guinea and serama roo fighting each other! The Guinea was throwing "punches" with his beak at the roo and every time he would throw a "punch" the rooster would jump and kick him! Both missing each other! They kept it going for about five minutes, But it wasn't over! One of my polish hens likes to get involved in these fights. She scrambled over there with her neck all puffed out and frizzled and jumped in on it! Before you know it there was at least four birds involved, But the rooster who was one of the main birds to start the fight walked right out of the scramble! He walked away like nothing happened and began pecking some seed while the others kept on fighting! I eventually broke the fight up and everyone went back to normal well, not just yet... I had just put all the big feeders and waterers down and a couple small bowls down with food in them. I was getting ready to head back up to the house, But I could not find my Japanese bantam pullet! I searched for at least twenty minutes and nothing...! Finally I went to look around the feeders at all the scrambling because of all the feeding and before I know it my Japanese bantam cockerel was standing on top of one of the bowls with her under it! Well,That's my story! That sure was one hectic morning!

One time, I had a chicken named Dudley who loved to go anywere and everywere with me. Instead of walking a dog, I walked Dudley. One time, I took Dudley to his favorite local petshop to get some feed for him. Dudley was a very piggy chicken I must say, and whenever I would be feeding him and his flock treats, he would nip at my heels for food! Anyways, when I took Dudley to the petshop, there was a self-serve dog treat station. I turned my back for not long to look at some dog toys for my pooch, when I herd Dudley making a strange noise. I turned around to see Dudley standing in the dog treats, chowing down on a dog biscuet!!! I was mortified to think that my chicken was shoplifting, and took the biscuet away from him as quick as I could, hoping no one noticed the small peck marks on the biscuet. Just as I was about to grab him to put him back on the ground, Dudley grabbed another dog treat, and started to try to fly away from me!!! (Dudley was a very fast chicken I must say!!!) I finally caught Dudley just before he ran out the door and into the streets! I had to pick him up and wrestle the dog treat from his mouth! He was a VERY naughty chicken! The look on peoples faces were priceless, and I could tell Dudley and I were going to be in their dinner conversations!
lau.gif

After I got my small flock of three chickens, I was commited to proving to my family that they were more than dumb bird brains, so I decided to train them. Although they all did decent, one of my chickens, my Silkie, Doodle, stould out exceptionally from the others. Doodle was a fast learner, and unlike my other chickens, she didn't mind being isolated from the rest of the flock to learn tricks. After I taught her to fly throgh a hoola-hoop, jump over a hurdle, come when called, use a litter box, and stand on a skateboard while it was moving, I decided it was time for something more; it was time to leash train doodle. Nobody in my family had expected much from doodle (especially because of her name) and after her original tricks she immediatley changed their minds. I started practicing with her with a harness and leash, at first around my yard with treats, and eventually to the point where we could go on walks. After she was leash trained and we went on walks regularly, I started taking her out every day I could. (depending on the weather) One day while I was driving to run some errands, I was a few blocks away from my house, I saw the most peculiar site; it was Doodle! Doodle was heading down the street in the path that we usually go on during our walks! I pulled over and picked Doodle up, and took her back to the house to find the coop had been left unlocked, so I put Doodle back in and locked it. The next day, when we were going for our walk, Doodle suddenly jerked wildly on the leash. I gave her slack and moved quickly ahead to follow where she was going, and why she was pulling so vigorously, when she pulled aside into the spot I had seen her the previous day while driving. She went into the bushes at the spot (again, from the previous day) and I watched and waited to see what she would do. She went in and shuffled around a bit before settling down after five minutes or so. I called her and pulled on her leash to continue, but she wouldn't budge. I pulled on the leash and called some more and she still wouldnt come. SO I finally kneeled down to see that Doodle was incubating a few eggs! When I tried to pick her up to pull her away, she would "growl" and then bite me. I started yelling at her and pulling on the leash, until I heard someone say, "Did you lose your dog?" It was my neighboor. She had been out there watching me the whole time! I told her that my chicken refused to leave her bushes, and that she was incubating eggs. My neighboor told me she had seen Doodle in her yard a dozen or so times before, but had just ignored it. I was completely shocked! How could Doodle have gotten out so many times with out me noticing?!!? and how had I forgotten to lock the coop so many times??!?! After talking some more with my neighboor, I decided it was time to go, whether Doodle wanted to or not. I pulled on her leash, until I nearly dragged her out, and when I looked under the bushes, there were two tennis balls sitting in her spot!!! Doodle must have been coming down here to incubate them for days! I couldnt believe it, and none of my other neighboors have chickens, so she couldn't have seen another chicken! After that I made sure to lock the coop, and also to change the path we waled on from time to time. She only had a few other escapes after that, until she died at eight years old, but the story of Doodle still lives on in my family.
images
Doodle in the yard

I don't really have a funny story that others find funny that my chickens do. So here is one of my better stories.
We had a pool party at our house this summer with our family. The chickens at this time were very active and running around every where always escaping. I fenced them in so they couldn't get into the pool area. 30 minuites later, I see a rooster on the apple bin we put up so the neighbors hunting dog couldn't get to the chickens. A few mimuites later, I see all of them on, I of course think nothing of it, they can do what they want. Another 30minuites goes by and now they were on the shed roof. I figured they would come down when they were ready to. But they start advancing to the edge of the roof and fly over to the coop roof. They go on the the garage now, and at this point everyone is watching. They look down in to the pool, and jump into the water. They start flapping around in the water having a panic attack. We put them on the edge, and they jump back in. So I grabed a pool bed, and they sat there. They only got out of the pool when I got out, and they followed me back to the back. Now ever time we swim, they come swimming with me.

Have you ever heard of a broody Rooster?! Back in early 2002/03 we had a crazy silkie rooster who apparently wanted a family! He started out just 'setting' in the bottom next box with two of the other broody hens day after day - mind you, he wasn't 'committed' he would sit there for a day or two, then go off and do his 'manly duties' before returning to the nesting boxes a day or two later... Then it got worse! He started kicking the other two hens out of their nest and stockpilling ALL the eggs into one massive next (a nest that there was no way he could even cover! that sight alone was the funniest sight! ) It was getting out of hand. While he typically stuck to the bottom nesting box, on occasion he would try to steal one of the hanging boxes - knocking eggs out of the box in the process of stealing them from the hens. At the time, we worked with our local wildlife rescue and had a project going on with a hen incubating some osprey eggs - when Papa started getting into the upper boxes to set we new we needed to stop it quickly! We had success on a few other occasions 'fostering' chicks to broody hens, so tried it with him about a week later when we got a fresh hatch - Slipped the chicks in with him very early morning and then sat back and watched (we were a little afraid for the chicks). Sure enough, Papa eventually emerged out of 'his' nest, with 4 little chicks in tow. Papa was the funniest sight ever. SO proud of his little brood ... chirping and calling them like any good 'mother' would do. For sure one of the funniest sights i've ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom