Ended Tell Us Your Funniest Chicken Story to Win Six Bags of Feed from Nutrena!

My chickens watch and listen for the back door opening. If I let them out to free range they will be at the door begging and calling for treats if they think they hear me coming. I'd gone out and opened up the run early so the chickens were out eating grass and bugs. I'd went back in and put on some flannel PJ bottoms that have deer on them and was lounging around.

At lunch time I had scraps to give the birds, so I opened the back door and started calling them. They were running and flying towards the door as soon as they heard it. I opened up the screen door, they saw those pants, screamed, and started scrambling to get away and hide. Birds in flight tried to turn 180* mid air. I couldn't entice any of them to come within 20 feet of me while I had those on. I tested it by taking the pants out in a bag later. They'd come up to me begging and as soon as I pulled the pants out enough for them to see, they'd run yelling.

I have too many funny stories now to count... We have three chickens and this is our first year raising backyard chickens which of course leads to lots of "I had no idea that would happen" funny moments. The chickens are Yolko Ono, Chicki Minaj, and Feather Locklear. Together they are called the Whixie Chicks (after our dog Whiskey, who thinks they are his).

Weeeell, one story that made people laugh was my misguided "pizza incident." I simply walked out into the back yard where the chickens were free ranging and they attacked me to get my pizza slice. That was in my hand. About to go into my mouth. They JUMPED up and grabbed it in their beaks. I, until this point, didn't even know the buggers could jump!! I mean, hop, yeah, but fly straight up like a bouncy ball? No. First Feather Locklear jumped for the pizza, but eventually it was all of them running and jumping at me for the pizza. I started screaming and yanking on the pizza (which they were unable to pry out of my hands) and had to run helterskelter to the back porch (where they haven't yet learned to or are not willing to come up onto) and kept screaming all the way into the house lol!

I don't know where I went wrong. Broccoli they won't touch, but pizza? Watch out!

Last edited:
One of my funny chicken story's is about a D'Anver hen we just call banty, I am always the one to feed all of the birds but this day I started getting my boys to help me feed. Our little banty always would fly up to my shoulder when it was feeding time so this day my oldest child Aj had the feeding bucket and started to put out food foe every one while I called them. As every one ran up I seen banty running and I new what was about to happen. She flew right up his back and my son drooped the bucket and started running, and screaming. He did not know what had got him but h was not stopping to see. This whole time he is running around banty is still on his shoulder and freaking out her self. After everything calmed down and he seen it was just her my son told me he will never feed her again. He does feed the birds now but watches for her every time he goes out. He still lets her get up on his shoulder but this time he picks her up and puts her up there.

Thanks
hugs.gif

I have several chickens who are escape artists, including my large RIR roster Don. Hes a great rooster, protecting his ladies and finding them food but he will chase strangers and even me sometimes. My Schwan's delivery man knows all too well to look out for him. One day I had a different driver and I mentioned to him to look out for the rooster if he ever came back, he replied with "Oh your the rooster lady, Ive heard all about him" So I guess Im the Rooster Lady. LOL
frow.gif

We have two pens of chickens in the backyard....one on one end, and one on the other end...a bit of a distance..then we also have ONE lone Polish mix Rooster we call "MR BREWSTER".....Mr. Brewster used to live at the barn.. which is farther away yet...until we awoke one morning with NO TAIL feathers..the coyotes had SCALPED him in the night!!....So hence, he moved down here to the house to be safe..( How did he know?) now..All summer long and still today...he walkes back and forth all day long untill evening...checking on one pen of chickens and then back across the yard to the other pen.....all who visit the Ranch know his name and know what hes doing. He doesn't stop his 'treking gaurd " untill its time for bed....he does make a pit stop every morning to get his scratch...but WHO would have thought... a chicken?? Go MR BREWSTER!!

One needs to SEE this to get the full effect.....

Second funny chicken story! (Hope it's okay to enter twice).

An intro: We have three chickens and this is our first year raising backyard chickens which of course leads to lots of "I had no idea that would happen" funny moments. The chickens are Yolko Ono, Chicki Minaj, and Feather Locklear. Together they are called the Whixie Chicks (after our dog Whiskey, who thinks they are his).

Recently a hawk set its sights on our chickens. We let them free range in the back for a bit every day but have had to cut that back after this terrifying but funny incident. We heard a ruckus like you would not believe and I got out into the backyard before anyone else and saw this huge bird smashed up against the coop wall. Now...all the chickens had been out scratching in the yard and I could not believe my eyes when I saw the scene. Somehow they had ALL managed to go a great distance to get back inside the coop, successfully avoiding the hawk who had been going at them for at least half a minute before I could throw down my apron, pull off my head phones and run into the back yard to see what all the screaming and banging about. The hilarious part was that the chickens managed to shut.the.coop.door.behind.them. That's right. They shut the door behind them! I was honestly shocked not to find it locked and bolted. We're still not entirely certain how they managed to do that feat of chicken magic since we securely prop the door open with a very large and heavy container. We can only be happy that a) no chickens were excluded when they shut the door and b) the hawk managed not to get in before they did either!

My story happened long before I had my own chickens. I was visiting a farm and had brought my then 2 year old son with me. They had a banty hen at the farm that, unbeknownst to me, had a reputation for chasing people. My son, having never seen a chicken before, was fascinated by this little bird. He followed her around at a fair distance until she ran under my Jeep. He squatted down, as only a 2 year old can do, to peek under my Jeep, and the banty hen came flying out, feet first, just like an angry rooster. She hit him in the center of the chest and sent him tumbling onto his back! He was unharmed, but quite distraught at the whole incident.

After that day, we had the best threat of punishment a parent could ever ask for... If he misbehaved, all we had to say is, "Do you want us to go get one of Uncle Steve's chickens?" He would run to do whatever it was he was refusing to do!! Thankfully, he grew out of his fear of chickens and now, at 16, helps me to take care of our little flock...

We now have 8 chickens (so much for this screen name). I let them free range during the day in the backyard. They tuck themselves in at night and I just close up the coop door. A couple nights ago, I forgot until it was pretty late. I walked outside in the dark and checked the roosting bar to make sure they were all there. I counted 7. I started to panic. I counted them again. 7. ACK! We do have a fox in our area and he scarfed up my neighbor's hen so I was pretty sure that he got one of my girls too. I ran inside to grab a flashlight so I could start looking under our pine trees to see if I could find her in case she just got lost. I couldn't find her anywhere. I was so upset! I went to lock the coop door and thought I would flash the light in there to see how they integrated (2 flocks, as you know, can be crazy). That's when I saw my eighth hen! She was roosting on the bracket and not the bar. I couldn't see her because the other girls were blocking my view!

Okay, I thought of another that happened yesterday afternoon. If this disqualifies me, that's okay. It's too funny not to share. When my Barred Rock hens were outside they started getting all worked up running around the yard. I immediately started to panic thinking it was the fox. Nope! They were chasing after a squirrel! He had to climb a tree to save himself!

I have many funny stories and most of them involve my husband lol. He tells everyone "chickens are my wife's thing". Every time someone comes over he wants to show them "my" chickens and something funny always seems to happen. One time he was showing some guys from his work the chickens and he went in the run and Sweet Pea (my Old English Game hen) flew up onto his shoulder and was being all friendly to him. The guys from his work were all hanging out asking him questions and laughing. My husband goes to leave and when he tries to take Sweet Pea off his shoulder she poops all down his back. He was soo embarrassed and the guys at his work talk about it all the time! That will teach him to mess with "my" chickens lol :)

Back
Top Bottom