Ended Tell Us Your Funniest Chicken Story to Win Six Bags of Feed from Nutrena!

So I was torn between 2 stories. 1 about my 4 year old daughter having her sandwich stollen by big red, and this other story that I will tell you. We have 18 beautiful and very friendly chickens they have a very nice large coop that they stay in at night. So we live on a dead end street and we have no fence around our property. The chickens know that they are to stay in the yard, and when I am home and outside doing yard work or whatever they do stay in the yard. Now my neighbor across the street has a very nice yard with some beautiful mulch. So here is how the routine goes...... I go inside to make lunch or start dinner or something like that at that point the chickens very slowly start to make their way to the street the Pretend to scratch in gutter looking for worms, they slowly start to make their way across the street and then when they get just a little over halfway........ they run as fast as their little feet will carry them straight to the neighbors mulch and dig like mad. At that point 1 of 2 things happen..... either the neighbor comes out and the chickens take off and run home.... or I come outside and yell hey!! And the chickens come running home and look at me like what we didn't do anything we were here the whole time. :lol:

We have a little calico cochin named Betsy, and she has decided to share in the pecking order to include our 8lbs fox terrier mix Sherman. It is so funny to watch her fluff and huff up at Sherman, while chasing him around in circles. Sherman just looks at her like "what the heck"!
roll.png
If our pot belly pig Sallie Mae is around, Sherman will try to stand behind her for cover, but Sallie Mae is afraid of our little Betsy too. Its cute and funny when both Sherman and Sallie Mae go running with Betsy behind them fluffing and huffing!!!

My funniest chicken story actually involves my oldest granddaughter and our meatbirds. We had been butchering meatbirds all day, we were getting down to the end of them and they were getting harder to catch in the pen. My son was having one of his daughters go around the back and scare them to him. Well, my oldest granddaughter (has some challenges and is a very literal child) wanted to help too so her daddy told her to go around back and scare them to him. She SNEAKS around the back of the pen and lets out this God awful scream :eek: and I swear I thought those birds were going to save us the trouble of plucking them because they about jumped out of their skin!! Her dad was all....don't scare them to death, just walk towards them. We were all laughing so hard that we were crying!!! Her sister said....Nana, if we would have had that on video we could have won a lot of money on America's Funniest Videos!! It was the perfect ending to a long day. :)

I was working in my vegetable garden while my 3 hens roamed freely on the lawn. One of my hens just had to get to my vegetable garden thinking she could share in the bounty. She was in such a hurry that she decided to jump in the pool instead of going around it. Fortunately, she jumped on a step and after splashing around for a few seconds, she got herself out. She walked around looking as if she had a full diaper between her legs. After we we finished taking photos of our soggy chicken, we picked her up and toweled her off. She ran through the yard doing the chicken dance for the next hour, flapping her wings and shaking her behind. Now, I understand the Chicken Dance song.

I have a laughable experience since we brought my chickies home- who are only 9 weeks old by now. At first, my boyfriend and I bought 3 beautiful chicks at a farm/feed store at a store I hadn't been to since I was a little girl, when my mom would take me to get quail and doves for our aviary. We had just planned on saying hello to the chickies and ducklines and checking out their selection. My heart melted when we saw them so we decided to just buy 6 chicks! So we went home with a silkie, barren rock, RIR, a leghorn, an Easter Egger and a Maran.

We had a 3 hr drive ahead of us since we'd been visiting my dad for his bday. I knew only a little about raising chicks, and since the people at the feed store told me they needed to be in 95' temps all the time - I was terrified that the little babies would freeze to death on the drive home. So I turned the heater on full blast and the car was at 85+ the entire way home. My boyfriend and I were just dying from the heat, especially since we were wearing winter clothing- after a few minutes we furiously threw off our sweaters and scarves that were suffocating us! My boyfriend opened the window frequently to gasp for air, down but every time he did it I got super mad and insisted that he had to close the window unless he wanted "to KILL our babies!" He said I was being dramatic and I insisted no one was freezing to death on my watch!

When we got home - the ridiculousness continued. First we each drank 20oz of ice water. Then we had to secretly sneak the chickies into the house because our roommate has a SERIOUS irrational and debilitating fear of chickens! As my boyfriend brought the food and pine shavings into the garage for safe hiding, I had to secretly transport 6 cold and scared and screaming baby chickes through the entire house and into our bedroom without my roommate hearing. I didn't think I could pull off that kind of a stealthy operation, but I put my jacket over the box they were in and ran thru the house until I got into our room. The chicks were going crazy - peeping and squeeking soooooo loudly all over the place! The louder they peeped the more worried and stressed we became. Once they got into their little box with their heat lamp it took around 20 minutes for the peeping to stop. We furiously read our 6 books on keeping chickens - just desperate to figure out WHY the wouldn't shut up! Finally, I decided they were still cold, even with the lamp. So I lowered the land into their box some more - I felt weird putting the lamp that low. It was as if I was a cop bringing them in for questioning! Eventually the little buggers fell asleep - but of course they were up again and again in the middle of the night. We got very little sleep.

We kept them a secret for a few days and then we realized that we couldn't keep 6 ckicks a secret until we moved out 2.5 months later. One day or roommate sent us a text asking if he could put our clean laundry in our room while we were at school. All we could text back was "no." We thought for sure he did it anyway and found out about the chickens - we spent the entire day trying to come up with a solid excuse. Eventually we came clean. Our roommate is nice about it and he really WANTs to love our chickies, but he is so irrationally scared that he has to leave the room when we bring the little ladies through the house and outside to explore the garden. As I walk from my room, chick in hand, I can see him hiding behind his bedroom door - peeping out and silently watching in fear as I walk by with a tiny little chick!

We have a bantam frizzled hen named magnolia, mags for short. Mags is a little different from all the other chickens we have. Last spring I brought home 3 standard sized baby chicks from the feed store. Mags went along for the ride to pick them up, she was broody at the time and anxious to raise some babies. I went in, picked them out and brought them to her as she patiently waited in the car. As soon as I put the little ones in her cage she hovered right over them and took them in with no problems. She raised those babies until they were bigger than she was. After her clutch went on to roam with the rest of the flock in our yard, a few weeks later mags was broody again.

In our coop I keep a bucket with extra light bulbs in it. Mags having raised 3 standard chicks now had a new found desire to sit on big things, bantam eggs wouldn't do it. Everyday after work I would go and check on the birds and pluck eggs from nests ect. I had noticed my light bulb bucket had been tipped over for the past few days. I would pick up the light bulbs and place them back in the bucket. On the 3rd day as I noticed the bucket was tipped over again I went on the hunt for the bulbs to put them back again, this time there wasn't a bulb to be found BUT there was a tiny frizzled bantam hen (mags) who was sitting on something large enough to lift her body off the ground. I luckily had my camera handy and started rolling the video as I stuck my hand under her to see what she had under there..... 3 60 watt light bulbs and 1 bantam egg is what she had. This time I took the whole bucket out of there and far away from this CRAZY hen with a bright idea. To this day if she is broody and you place a light bulb near her, she quickly gathers the bulb and gently tucks it under her warm body.

Silly Bird!

I had been grilling, what else, chicken. Once I finished I left the grill top open to clean and cool. The next morning I came outside and lo and behold, one of our young red star pullets had escaped her coop and was sitting, happily clucking away, on the grates of the grill. I laughed and told he her time would come soon enough but first I needed eggs. Most eager chicken I've raised yet

I bought six little black sex link chicks and kept them in the barn until theywere big enough. When they were big enough I took them out to the new coop and watched them. At first they were exploring and when one of them would come up to another unexpectedly the other one would puff themselves up and have mock battles and then take off running the other direction. They acted like roosters and then would tear off around the coop and come back and do it all over again. This went on for hours. They were really happy to be out of the brooder.

i believe my funniest chicken story was the other week when i was taking a silkie hen to sale and i put her in a cabbage crate in the back of the van. well 10 minutes into the ride and continuos clucking it went silent. next thing i know i hear a big boom and squaking along with feathers everywhere. she had got loose in the car!!! the driver starts screaming and veering off the road, everyone having a panich attack. so when we find a place to pull off i open the back i see my hen halfway out of the crate panting i put her in a different crate and we started back on the road. well the least i can say is that the rest of the ride i had to spend convincing my 4 yr old cousin that the chicken was not going to jump out the box and attack her!

Once, I was eating spaghetti O's and a cookie. The chickens were having supervised free-range time. One of my least-tame chickens( a partridge rock named Willow) comes over and begins to peck my cookie! I tell her to stop, and as I''m pulling it away, she proceeds to grab it in her beak. So we had a tug-of-war. I won. Then, she jumped onto the table and began eating my spaghetti O's. I wasn't too thrilled, and kinda picked her up and put her on the ground, where she ran-flew to the others. Then, my cat jumped up and finished the spaghettii O's.

Back
Top Bottom