Continued fairy eggs and molting?

Feb 13, 2021
It’s hot here like 98+ and it’s stressing me hens. They are a year and four months road island reds. I’ve read that stress can cause fairy eggs but I’ve gotten 4 in 2 weeks. Is this normal? The weather is hot and cold every other week, and usually I don’t get any one every couple months. Second could my chickens be molting already? I have found a couple piles of feather from either picking I’m thinking. I’ve had hen rip out chest feathers because they were shrilled and crunchy. And have beautiful regrowth now. Is that going to stay or is their molt over with. (Partial molt at the end of winter)

Depending on where you live.
It's definitely the start of molting season here....funky eggs, feathers all over.
Mid west the weather is all over the place (100 one week 70’s another week) and the days are slowly getting shorter. They still get about 14 1/2 hours of sun and have been pasture raised their whole life on 1/2 an acre.

the days are slowly getting shorter. They still get about 14 1/2 hours of sun
They've been getting shorter since June 21st.
Exponentially so......and now about 2 mins a day.
It's not so much the total length of day but the decrease that the birds sense....
..and I imagine the lower angle of the sun.

They've been getting shorter since June 21st.
Exponentially so......and now about 2 mins a day.
It's not so much the total length of day but the decrease that the birds sense....
..and I imagine the lower angle of the sun.
For sure should I switch to a all flock feed? The one I bought before had 4% more protein.

It’s hot here like 98+ and it’s stressing me hens. They are a year and four months road island reds. I’ve read that stress can cause fairy eggs but I’ve gotten 4 in 2 weeks. Is this normal? The weather is hot and cold every other week, and usually I don’t get any one every couple months. Second could my chickens be molting already? I have found a couple piles of feather from either picking I’m thinking. I’ve had hen rip out chest feathers because they were shrilled and crunchy. And have beautiful regrowth now. Is that going to stay or is their molt over with. (Partial molt at the end of winter)
My girls are about the same age and not sure they read the books on how to chicken. They laid all winter here, in PA, then molted in spring and just now looking “normal” again. I have a local poultry vet, so girls perfectly healthy but have their seasons mixed up? I’m curious to see what happens this winter!!

Back
Top Bottom