Continuing saga of man vs, raccoon

Spires6

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Ohio
Yesterday after finding the third dead chicken in our coop since Saturday, we nailed boards up over the spaces under the eaves of our coop (the only way in with the door shut.) My oldest son decided to sleep in the camper and ambush the killers with his 22. Then his friend decided to stay over and help and he has never been around guns so my son considered using his longbow and then settled for his airsoft gun to scare them away. Then they decided to camp out in our living room with the door and windows open.

My husband and I were awakened shortly after midnight by my son screaming bloody murder and using every cuss word he had ever heard. We went running outside to witness my son addressing the coons with a very dramatically threatening and colorful speech and explaining very clearly to them what he would do to them if they so much as touched one feather on a single bird. He kind of reminded us of Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction when he would address his intended victims prior to executing them. However, Connor did not use any weapon.

No birds were killed but I do think they will be back. Wonder what we will have in store for them next time:)

Wow! I don't have much constructive to say, except wow, that's intense, and I can imagine the emotional state that inspired him to do that. Before I had chickens, a 'coon attacked my full-grown male Akita 5 years ago just after dark, and it wouldn't let go. That's the first time I've ever tried to beat up an animal of any kind (shovel), and I failed, and it left my large dog's shoulder a mess for a month --he had a lampshade & stitches. They're totally zombie-possessed evil things in my book, though we're contending with weasels at the moment. You may well have the weasel & oppossum problem as well in Ohio. Seal everything larger than an inch with hardware cloth, and then if there are no large snakes or determined rats, you should be fine (barring poisonous spiders, of course)
hmm.png

Last edited:
get a huge trash can put put one big rock in it fill half way with water then throw some old smelly meat or fish any food will do run board against it they will climb the board jump in for food an drown or be traped depends on how long it takes u to find him goodluck i hope this works.

I'm in SW Michigan and the racoon is a constant foe. Early this spring, I had that same type of "out of body, desire to kill" with a pesty coon that got one of my roosters. I poked him with 2 x 4 in the top of the barn, hit with shovels rakes, koocked him down from 25'. Bam he hit the ground, I thought good I'll get him when he is dazed. No such luck, he was off in a second. Out came the live trap, cat food and a bullet in the brain the a day later. They are back again, 1 so far one down this week...the live trap is out each nite. I leave the lights on in the barn so my free range roosters who roost in the rafters can see the bastards coming. Have not lost a roo since the lights are left on.

I am having trouble catching raccoons in my area. I have put cat food, sardines, marshmellows, in the trap and it either gets them without springing the trap or I catch a cat< one of my own>. I have yet to catch whatever has killed several of my pullets. If anyone has suggestions, I am open to them.

Rammy

I am having trouble catching raccoons in my area. I have put cat food, sardines, marshmellows, in the trap and it either gets them without springing the trap or I catch a cat< one of my own>. I have yet to catch whatever has killed several of my pullets. If anyone has suggestions, I am open to them.

Try oatmeal cookies, cats shouldn't like them, but coons love the sweetness. Check the spring on your trap, is it old? Try setting the trap just feather light.
smile.png

Well no troubles last night but tonight my German Shepherd and Bichon were going nuts and barking up at the woods just 20 feet from our house. We have 21 baby chicks and 14 turkey pullets in cages just outside the garage. That part of the woods the dogs were barking at is right next to where they are. I have a feeling since they can't get in the coop anymore they may go after the babies. Hope my dogs stay on the alert all night.

I set my trap sunday night after seeing raccoon poop on top of one of my hen houses..monday a.m. I had caught my cat, monday night I re set the trap...tues a.m. I had again caught my cat..same one..tuesday night I locked the cat up in my patio house and wed. a.m. I had successfully captured a raccoon. I nicely sent him to raccoon heaven.

Back
Top Bottom