CONTINUOUS Shell-less egg from my new layer?

It sounds like your husbandry is correct, I'm not sure why she's laying eggs like that. Have they always been this way? I had a hen like that in the past who lived four years and consistently layer soft shelled or shells that were extremely thin despite feeding many different brands and having oyster shell as well. Perhaps it could be genetic?

It sounds like your husbandry is correct, I'm not sure why she's laying eggs like that. Have they always been this way? I had a hen like that in the past who lived four years and consistently layer soft shelled or shells that were extremely thin despite feeding many different brands and having oyster shell as well. Perhaps it could be genetic?
Maybe. She was a TSC chick, so I know that it's probably likely that it is from poor breed management.

The only ways to have light w/o power that come to mind are:

a solar cell, charging a battery, which then runs a set of LED bulbs (to reduce power consumption) on a timer. While not "expensive", its certainly not pocket change, either. Worse, most LEDs off the shelf have a built in AC to DC convertor, meaning the easiest solution is to put a 12v DC to AC convertor (like you see used in cars all the time) on the backup/reserve battery, instead of being able to power DC light sources directly.

or alternatively, DC bulbs running of a small battery, keep a second battery around to swap out, and a car charger to charge the one while discharging the other. That's probably much cheaper, but more work. Basically, you are looking for the sort of 12v bulbs used in RV and boat applications. and you won't need huge batteries, because the draw is so low.

I've got nothing re always shell-less eggs. at least, nothing likely to fix the problem

One of the newer groups this year was an olive egger (hen), buff orpington (hen), and golden laced wyandotte (roo). I have lost track of how old they all are, but I was guessing they are just about ready to start laying. I checked the (Pubic, I think :)) bones of my buff orp and she was more than two fingers wide, signifying she is in fact laying.

But the mystery is: Every day for about 2 weeks, we've been getting a shell-less egg in the SAME spot (not in the nest box, but on a board that we made so it's easier for the chickens to get up to roost) , and we've never seen the buff orp (or the olive egger) in the nest boxes, so that made us think ONE of them is laying that egg.

I don't get it- We supply them with available calcium 24/7 (crushed oyster shell) and feed layer pellets and some snacks. What could be the issue?

Thanks in advance for responding
Try cutting back on the "snacks." She may be filling up on carbs rather than on the balanced pellets and oyster shell she needs. I will be interested to hear how the private breakfast banquet did for you and if you are getting more normally shelled eggs. I have one Wyandotte who is fully mature but still has a glitchy egg-shell factory. Every couple of weeks I get an extremely thin shelled egg, or a shell less egg. It is irritating, isn't it? I think that some hens just have a malfunctioning system. Seems such a waste, but at least she does give me 7 or so good eggs for every poorly shelled one. I have 4 new pullets (30 weeks) who are still not laying, mostly, I think, because our day length in Montana is already less than 12 hours a day. Hopefully by the time these gals are ready to start laying (maybe not until next spring) they will be fully mature and ready to earn their keep. Good luck.

Try cutting back on the "snacks."
Thank you. I have already done so. She has begun laying shelled eggs now!
I will be interested to hear how the private breakfast banquet did for you and if you are getting more normally shelled eggs.
She did get the special "breakfast banquet" on most days, and since then has improved on egg production and shells on eggs.
It is irritating, isn't it?
It definitely is! Sometimes we get such THIN shells that when you pick it up, it breaks right in your hand...

Back
Top Bottom