controlling chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sonyacalhoun, Apr 1, 2008.

1. sonyacalhoun

sonyacalhoun New Egg

Apr 1, 2008
    how do i keep my chickens off of my porch and out of my flower beds? i love having chickens, but hate the mess at my back door!

2. cooliseo

cooliseo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Rainbow
    I think this is wrong forum but.. Well..put a fence up?

3. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry! I couldn't help but to laugh at that one, because whoever could solve this problem would win a big prize!

I try to keep the girls out of the gardens and beds in the spring when all the new shoots are coming up and plants are establishing (I can only freerange when I am home anyway because of all the marauding dogs in my neighborhood). After that, I just let them go to it, and only kick them out if they are doing major damage, In general, they get in the flower gardens to take a dust bath, or to eat bugs, which is a good thing.

Mine love to sit on the porch and the railings by my front door, so often I am hosing chicken poo off the deck...

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Squirt gun might work.
    but you're more likely to find the cure for the common cold than to keep your birds out of the garden.

5. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    We go out and scare them off when they are in the wrong parts of the yard, but they seem to take it as more asa challenege than training. If you are consistent, it may work. Chickens can be trianed to do tricks, so training them off a certain area should be possible. Personally, I started keeping them in the run...

Vicki

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If you figure out a way let me know! [​IMG]

7. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    theres only 1 way to keep them from getting in your flower beds an messing on the porch an sidewalk.an thats to leave them penned in their yard.or clean up their mess every day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by