Conturnix noises and behaviours dictionary

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quailswiss, Feb 19, 2014.

1. quailswiss

quailswiss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2013
    Thinking of the hours of puzzled observation when I first got my quail, I tought it would be really useful to compile a "quail language dictionary" perhaps with video or at least sound. Anybody join in?

2. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I'd like to see/hear that :)

3. owlett5

owlett5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2007
    Turner, Maine
    Sounds like fun!! I'll see if I can catch video. So far this is what I have discovered:

(gentle quiet sound): eeeeeeeee! Pep-pep-pep-pep-pep. . . = "Good morning sun!" (as their lights have turned on) and/or "I am/have laid an egg today."

(low growl)" Grrrrrrrrrrr= "I am in control, have control of the situation, am thinking about something, dont bug me"

(soft high pitched sound) Ka-cheep!Ka-Cheep!Ka-Cheep! = "Whoa guys, pay attention! Something is fishy" (this usually will cause all of them to go quiet and hunker down like a predator is coming)

(Very loud alarmed sound) CHEEPCHEEPCHEEP! = "HOLY CRAP I AM ALONE! WHERE IS EVERYONE!?" or "OMG SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT! -babies-" (common in babies under distress or from adults that escaped somewhere and can't find the flock)

(soft) bip?bipbipbipbip . . bip: "I am having a normal day, just walking around, doo bee doo, nothing wrong, what's up guys? Food???"

(startled high pitched) Ka-eep!!: "Ow! Ah!"

(very loud crow) KAAA-CAG-GLGAGGLE!! "I am a male! I'm awesome! I want ladies! And I just want the world to know I am TOTALLY here!"

4 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by