Conure incubation

Jun 2, 2023
So my moms friend has a mated pair of sun conures. She recently asked me if I would incubate some eggs. I know nothing about incubating conure eggs, is there anyone that could give me the ins and outs of trying this? I have a NR360. I haven’t given her a yes or no answer yet as I don’t even know if it’s possible or a good idea yet.

Why does she want you to hatch the eggs? Did the parents abandon them? What do you or she plan to do if/when the chicks hatch?
The mother has apparently never brooded eggs or been allowed to as it’s hard on them. The owner(moms friend) has experience in hand rearing and we have another close friend who has hand reared a large assortment of parrotlets.
I’d only plan on doing 2-3 as I’m aware they require a lot of attention. I don’t plan on keeping any, they only asked me because I have an actual incubator.

The mother has apparently never brooded eggs or been allowed to as it’s hard on them. The owner(moms friend) has experience in hand rearing and we have another close friend who has hand reared a large assortment of parrotlets.
I’d only plan on doing 2-3 as I’m aware they require a lot of attention. I don’t plan on keeping any, they only asked me because I have an actual incubator.
Great, just making sure you were aware of the care that parrot chicks need.

From the reading I've done hatching parrot eggs is pretty similar to hatching poultry. The temperature should be 99.5F, humidity around 50%, turning a minimum of 3 times a day, and lockdown on day 18. Seems simple enough. I'd assume you'd bump up the humidity % at lockdown as well. If you think you have enough experience to hatch the eggs, then I'd go for it and see what happens.

Great, just making sure you were aware of the care that parrot chicks need.

From the reading I've done hatching parrot eggs is pretty similar to hatching poultry. The temperature should be 99.5F, humidity around 50%, turning a minimum of 3 times a day, and lockdown on day 18. Seems simple enough. I'd assume you'd bump up the humidity % at lockdown as well. If you think you have enough experience to hatch the eggs, then I'd go for it and see what happens.
Thank you, as far as egg size should I use quail rails or the regular chicken rail? I’d like to avoid hand turning as it takes a lot of time and messes up the humidity too much.

Back
Top Bottom