i was looking at some like that, but didn’t know where to buy them
1665170896661.png
1665170935868.png

didn’t have a very good gauge of size comparison
1665170953764.png
:p

I can't measure a picture. I guess the cage is only two inches big :(
Scared Oh No GIF by CBC

I can't r-word today. Obviously, you take the tape measure to the size of the cage you're looking at online to get an in-person look at how large the cage would be.
oh no wtf GIF by CBC

I know you're smarter than that, but my tolerance is real low today.

Honestly, a 30x18x18 flight cage would be better than that. You could do 30x18x36 if you wanted. That size is less expensive than some of the other cages, as the gauge on the wire is smaller because it doesn't need to hold up to strong beaks.
View attachment 3283890View attachment 3283892

The dowel perches are alright if other perches are available. Somewhere I wrote an article on healthy birds and feet and the importance of varied perches, but I can't find it anywhere.
Agreed, that current cage is not a good shape for budgies. I still recommend a full flight if possible because perching birds tend to feel safer with more space between them and their relative ground, however the one you linked is much better. I wouldn't mind keeping budgies in there.

You can find full flight cages for not much more than those smaller ones. I got mine for $98 on Amazon. Might have to wait for a sale.

Plan on it. They were not handled at all previously, and are three years old. I've had them for less than a week, but have been putting my hand in their cage several times per day and singing and talking to them. Also been doing my work in the room with them.

They no longer go crazy when I open the door or feed them.

Kenzie Opal Moonshine (sky blue opaline one) has stood on my hand several times. Only for a split second before he chickens out, but he has. Also they were terrified of the millet stem before, but I finally got them to eat it off the stem from my hand this morning :)

I plan to let them out, but first I would like them to step up, and possibly learn some target training first.
You're doing a great job. Have you run across the BirdTricks YouTube channel? Great care and training resource.

Agreed, that current cage is not a good shape for budgies. I still recommend a full flight if possible because perching birds tend to feel safer with more space between them and their relative ground, however the one you linked is much better. I wouldn't mind keeping budgies in there.

You can find full flight cages for not much more than those smaller ones. I got mine for $98 on Amazon. Might have to wait for a sale.
Do you have a link to the one you have by chance?

Yes. I know. This is the cage there previous family had them in. They've been in it for three years, but I'm wondering if I should start looking for a better flight cage or if they are okay in the one. I've had them for less than a week
IMO, that cage is way to small for them. I would look for a flight cage, you can find lots on amazon.

Back
Top Bottom