Conure Training

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
My conure had a dreadful fear of hands for the longest time.
During that time, I managed to teach him to step-up onto my arm (but only of I had a sleeve and my hand was not directly visible).

I've had him roughly 8 months and that fear seemingly vanished on its own.
One day, he flew onto the arm of the couch, ran over and bowed his head. He received his first ever scritches and became an instant addict.

To date, he will step up on my hand and/or fingers without fear, flies to me on command (and without command- just gets super excited to see me), he cuddles, shakes hands, hops when prompted, plays this funny trick where he flops down dramatically, and he's in the process of learning to turn around.

He recently started rolling over and laying in my hand, so I'd like to teach him to roll over as a trick.

We mainly use his pellet food or tiny bits of fruit/vegetable for treats. He's not a seed junkie.

He performs when he wants to. He's a bit of a diva like that. If he'd rather play instead, he does. He responds best to visual cues, though I'm trying to connect those with vocal ones.

He hasn't picked up any words yet, but maybe someday. I make sure to use the same words and phrases as often as possible. Hello, hi, what you doin, treat, step-up, good boy, etc.

Any tips or suggestions?

Couldn't do target training or clicker training. He gets too interested in the stick and clicker and just wants to chew on them.

I'm glad to hear about the progress. Is there anything in particular you're trying to work towards that you need tips for?
From the moment he let me touch him without any hand-fear, it's been fullspeed ahead.
Didn't really make a plan for what to teach him beyond step-up and recall. (His hand-fear was intense. Wasn't sure he'd get over it.)
He flops over and likes to be held on his back at random times, and he does little somersaults when he's excited and playful. Might be able to work that into a trick.
I honestly don't know. Just figuring things out as we go. But if there are any ideas, tips, or suggestions, I'd be glad for them.

Back
Top Bottom