Conversion of "3 sides totally open" aviary to a "good for chickens" coop.

After letting the ladies free range in the backyard for a bit, I herded them back into their run. I keep counting only 9, when there should be 10. Found number 10 sitting on a "nest" right where I found the first egg. Did not seem to want to move from her spot. I am going to go out in an hour or so to see what I find. If I find an egg, then I know who is my single layer out of the 10. Slow start since I have not seen an egg since that first one a couple days ago.... Also, it is 2:45 PM here. So an interesting time to choose to lay. Her clock is all messed up.

Slow start since I have not seen an egg since that first one a couple days ago.... Also, it is 2:45 PM here. So an interesting time to choose to lay. Her clock is all messed up.
Yes, they can be slow to start, some never lay daily but rather 3-4 times a week.
Time of day can vary greatly, I've found that most laying happens between first light and about 3pm.

It takes about 25 hours for an egg to form, a new ova is released shortly after an egg is laid. A new egg could be laid approximately every 25-26 hours, so an hour or so later every day until one is laid late in the day and another ova might not be released until the following day, so a day off. BUT..very hen is different and only time will tell what a particular hen/pullets schedule might be. Not every hen/pullet lays every day..some only lay a few a week.

Can they go broody when they first come into lay? Geeeeeeez. I went out there and she was still all nestled down in her leaf pit. I tried to nudge her and she gave me a death glare. I kept poking and she eventually moved over, but started an angry growl/yell/cluck over and over like I was robbing her nest. No egg though....haha. Ohh well. I walked away while she was still yelling at me.

Can they go broody when they first come into lay? Geeeeeeez. I went out there and she was still all nestled down in her leaf pit. I tried to nudge her and she gave me a death glare. I kept poking and she eventually moved over, but started an angry growl/yell/cluck over and over like I was robbing her nest. No egg though....haha. Ohh well. I walked away while she was still yelling at me.
Rare, but sometimes it takes them awhile to lay....be patient.

Back
Top Bottom