Converting a dog house to coop...ideas?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheNewMrsEvans, Mar 11, 2013.

1. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    I just picked up an enormous dog house off of Craigslist. 4'wx8'lx5'h Any suggestions or vision for making it a coop? [​IMG]

2. brezlynsmom

brezlynsmom Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    Maybe make hinged door on side wall for access into it for cleaning. On end or other side make nest boxes that are on the outside with door to collect eggs.

3. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    Raise it off the ground. you'll be glad you did. Add a big cleanout door on the side or end, external nest boxes as mentioned above, you need to be able to get into the coop to clean so you need a BIG opening. Roosts, ventilation, you got a good start.

4. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Wow! I have never seen a dog house so BIG!! We have a dog rescue and I have built several insulated and heated dog houses but nothing so large. Mine are 5' x 5' with two rooms for a windbreak and many times 3 or 4 dogs will sleep in one!

Something that large and heavy may need to remain on the ground. Cut a big access door in the back along with some vents. I have a small plexiglass window in ours for natural light. Should make a good coop even though you may be hunkered down to access.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. chickety-chick

chickety-chick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2012
    Kentucky
    Wow! Very nice! I have one that I will be working on very soon that is the same dimensions width and height, but half that, length wise. I would love to see what you come up with for setting up the interior, as that seems to be my main issue, for the time being.

6. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    So far I think I'll put the biggest door I can fit on the opposite end of the little door. Then add nest boxes down one side with access doors and run the perch down the opposite length. I have to put a window for ventilation so I might just put it in the door on the opposite end. I also need to paint the floor with shiny bathroom paint so it stays clean.

7. QuirkySue

QuirkySue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    BC, Canada
    Nice! That's a HUGE doghouse! I was looking yesterday for one on craigslist to use the same way for a breeder pen and run. Please post pictures as you work on it so we can see how it all comes together!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by