Converting a Metal Shed into a Coop?

Thanks for the pic! I have that same shed, used right now just for storage but I am thinking of converting it. In California we don't have snow or extreme temps here so I won't have to worry about temps too much. Also after your experience with those dang doors which mine are crappy as well, I think it would be best to make a door with a huge screen/hardware cloth area for sun light and venting. Probably some more venting somewhere else too? Thanks for the heads up on all your pros and cons /experiences with it.

I have read on Byc lately of a person using a metal shed having problems with condensation dripping making the coop more on the wet side....have you dealt with this problem?

Regarding cutting sheet metal... I've found that a jigsaw with a metal blade, if you have it, works better that a reciprocating saw. Also, a grinder, with a cutting blade works pretty well to. Even a Dremel, with a cutting disk, works for short stretches, but the disk will wear out after a bit.

We put a metal roof in our coop and have been having a bad condensation problem. Tomorrow I am going to get some foam insulation board to put in the rafters to stop it.

I have a Royal Outdoor vinyl shed....much better than metal shed tho and had to use sawzall to cut openings for windows and doggy door for the chickens.

I used one and converted to a duck pen but it works great I will

4881_duck_pen_003.jpg

When me and my wife bought our place it had a small coop about 8x10 on it, that is made of sheet metal. We have had no problems with frostbite on combs or any other problems. Our coop is shaded however by lots of trees in the summer and the trees also make a windbreak in the winter. I feed mine lots of corn before they roost as im told digesting corn makes plenty of body heat. I am building a bantam coop and am wondering the same thing. This new location will be shaded most of the day i THINK but our oklahoma summers get pretty miserable.

HI, I did a metal shed last spring and I was so happy with it all spring, summer and fall but then the problems began. The consedation was horrible in it, even with the foam insulation, the door tracks constantly had shavings or hay in them, even with a board in front, then the snow began dripping and froze and the doors wouldn't open because they were frozen. The chickens began sneezing because it was so wet. Needless to say they now have a wonderful new coop because not only was our metal coop was a diaster. The only saving grace is we are are going to power wash it and store the lawnmowers and garden tools in it. I would never recommend a metal coop to anybody. We did everything we could think, added vents and so forth.

Back
Top Bottom