Converting a Metal Shed into a Coop?

Hi
I have a metal shed for my coop. It is 8x10. This is my second year with it. We made a cement floor, I cut 2 vents in the back and put a wire screen over them, cut an opening for them to go into their run. I insulated it foil radiant barrier. I just took 2 pieces of 1x6 and screwed them into the walls for roosts. (I do have the bottom one supported witha cement block also). I use a heat lamp if it gets really cold. Other than that, I love it. Summer time, I go in and just hose it down. I do hang a small fan inside in the summer. But they are always out running around. If you would like to see pics, let me know.
Then what my hubby did we got some lumber at an auction. He built a coop that attatche to their run. I use it for my meat chickens, then I clean it out and on really cold days the layers can have 2 coops to run around in, if I dont let them out to roam. He made it look like the old west. So we had left over lumber, he added it over top of the metal shed and now I have an old west town.
We paid $25 for the shed. It was used and the doors can be a pain, but for the price, who cares.
I still hjave to paint the doors on the metal shed to make it look like the rest of the bldg, but ran out of summer time.

I have a 10x14 metal shed and love it. As others have said, I can just hose it down. I have a dirt floor and no insulation. I live in VA and it can get cold here at night. The chickens do fine.

we recently decided to take the plunge and backyard chicken. We have an old metal shed that we never used as it was filled with junk from previous owners.
we emptied the shed.
THE SHED: We removed 3 side panels on the north side of the shed and one off the south. We removed the metal doors and made new doors, framed them out w wood and all of the "holes" were covered with heavy farmers mesh wire- screen, not sure what it's really called.
We framed all of the panel holes with trim, securing the mesh for safety of our birds. We also had to secure the bottom of the shed to deter anything from digging under to get at the girls.

NESTERS: I retrieved an old set of cabinets from a neighbors curb for our nesting boxes. this cabinet set has 4 doors. I removed 2 and in between I used heavy wire mesh between the unused cabinets to make the nesting boxes smaller. I used pieces of the removed doors to trim the nesters to make the entry smaller for them to be all comfy in.
Total size of each box is 12 in deep 12 in wide and 10 in tall with a one inch frame.

Roost/ perch: currently I have a crib rail laying up against the shed wall that they adore. I took out 5 rods, every ft or so.

RUN/ YARD: We have a smaller fenced in yard that they free range in and we just call them in at night and let them out at dawn.

Back
Top Bottom