Converting a shed into a coop, need advice

tedelaney

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
First off, I am thinking about buying this shed:
shed.jpg

I was wondering if anyone with more chicken/coop knowledge than me could answer a couple questions.

How do I cut a pophole in this?
How do I insulate and ventilate it?

It is 10x14 and will be used mostly for banty chickens. Any other thoughts/advice/concerns would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Use a jigsaw to cut the openings, after you drill starter holes large enough for the blade to slip into. Make sure to draw your cut line with a black marker so you're sure to follow it, else your holes will be wonkey.

Freud-FJ85K-6-Amp-Top-Handle-Jig-Saw.jpg

Insulation... you may not need at all.. Depends on your area... With a shed that size and keeping bantams in it, I'd be more apt to run a heat lamp or two during cold weather.

Last edited:
Is it metal or vinyl? Either way, you cut holes in it by drilling holes at the corners of where the door (window, vent, whatever) will be, then insert a power jigsaw and put on MAJOR ear protection and go RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! til you've cut from hole to hole to hole to hole
smile.png
It is not hard, it is just obnoxiously loud (especially if it's a metal shed) and there's a little bit of learning curve on keeping the thing steady and on line.

Then you trim out the rough edges, add whatever door or whatever, and Bob's your uncle so to speak
smile.png

When you put in ventilation openings, I suggest multiple LARGE ones and you can add a sort of porch-roof 'hood' to them to help keep rain out, since there isn't much in the way of overhanging eaves to help you out there.

For insulating it, the easiest thing is to get rigid foamboard insulation and glue it to the inside of the shed walls, then glue plywood to that... making sure to use a glue that is approved for foamboard so you don't inadvertantly dissolve/disintegrate the foamboard. There are other ways to do it, somewhat better but in reality a lot more work.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom