Converting a shed

Mar 11, 2021
Sacramento, CA
Hi all! I'm getting a coop ready for my girls. I have a plastic shed that's plenty big but I have some questions about setting it up. Here are some pictures:
20210312_155936.jpg

I was planning to use the window as the entrance/exit for the hens. I'll add hardware cloth to the window frame and put it on a hinge with a lock. They'll need a ladder to get up and down. My other option would be to cut a hole in the wall under the shelf, but I'd really like to put my nesting boxes there. 20210312_155905.jpg
Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

I'm in the Sacramento, CA area, if that makes a difference. Lows in the winter rarely below freezing, highs in the summer often above 100.

Thanks!

That's pretty high for the entrance... what was you plan for getting them up and down there, because a ramp up would need to be pretty long in order to keep the angle small.

Also is that the only source of ventilation? You're going to need a lot more of it. Plastic can have an oven-like effect - have you checked the temperatures in there in the summer?

That's pretty high for the entrance... what was you plan for getting them up and down there, because a ramp up would need to be pretty long in order to keep the angle small.

Also is that the only source of ventilation? You're going to need a lot more of it. Plastic can have an oven-like effect - have you checked the temperatures in there in the summer?
I was planning to make ramps with rungs for them to get up and down. Outside I can go long with a gentle angle. I was thinking 8'. Inside will be a little steeper. Is there a max angle they can climb? What's the highest I should expect them to jump/fly up or down?

No, that's not the only ventilation. I should have taken a picture of the other wall. I screened in one of the side doors with heavy screen door protector material - kind of like hardware cloth. In the summer I can leave it totally open to give a nice breeze, or I can leave it just cracked in the winter. I'm also thinking about putting an attic vent in one of the skylights.

I was planning to make ramps with rungs for them to get up and down. Outside I can go long with a gentle angle. I was thinking 8'. Inside will be a little steeper. Is there a max angle they can climb? What's the highest I should expect them to jump/fly up or down?

No, that's not the only ventilation. I should have taken a picture of the other wall. I screened in one of the side doors with heavy screen door protector material - kind of like hardware cloth. In the summer I can leave it totally open to give a nice breeze, or I can leave it just cracked in the winter. I'm also thinking about putting an attic vent in one of the skylights.
With ramps, you're ideally aiming for less than 45 degrees, though you can prop up the bottom end on a cinder block to help reduce the angle and length of ramp.

Alternatively birds could also fly up onto a platform to get in, though keep in mind not all breeds fly well and down the line you may find yourself with old or ill birds that simply can't/won't make the flight up.

Good to know on the ventilation, I could only go by what I could see there.

As noted above, plastic sheds are hard to adequately ventilate. You need at least 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation -- the pop door that's closed at night and any windows that are closed in the winter don't count. Ideally this ventilation should be above the birds' heads when on the roost -- heat and ammonia both rise.

Where, in general, are you located?

In a warm climate you could replace the doors completely with a wire wall.

Good advise above.

I'm in the Sacramento, CA area, if that makes a difference. Lows in the winter rarely below freezing, highs in the summer often above 100.
Welcome to BYC! @Chickens on the Fly
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1615643879786.png

Welcome!
Also, your added screening; if it's that 'pet safe' type that's just like regular screening for windows, it's not fine at all. you need actual hardware cloth, very well secured. Nothing else will begin to keep predators out.
I agree that the birds need access lower down, not only ramps, and much more ventilation.
More pictures will help too.
Mary

Welcome!
Also, your added screening; if it's that 'pet safe' type that's just like regular screening for windows, it's not fine at all. you need actual hardware cloth, very well secured. Nothing else will begin to keep predators out.
I agree that the birds need access lower down, not only ramps, and much more ventilation.
More pictures will help too.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom