Converting an old incubator

Thanks for the link ozzie
thumbsup.gif

It doesn't look like they have changed the heating system at all over the last 100+ years!

So I guess that they are steam heated. Hmmm, how to make a small scale electric steam boiler... I better watch it. I may just blow myself up
ep.gif

Well, the pieces are coming together.

I have 2 of the cheap Springfield thermometer/hydrometers coming. I figure one of them should be accurate.
big_smile.png

I ordered http://www.petiatric.com/complete125wattassembly.aspx instead of scrounging. I promise to share the experience with all of you when I install it. It is 12"X12" and I will mount it up in between the copper tubes. Not sure what to do about the tubes yet. I will just let them sit for now. Maybe I will find a replacement kerosene heater for it
wink.png

Still working on the legs... haven't found anyone who has time right now. Guess it will be a table top unit for now.

Next problem... humidity control

Any ideas for an old wood cabinet???

A.J.'s :

p-lease tell me how does that thing work?

It's a kerosene incubator.

It will clean up beautifully.

I would clean and refinish it, add discrete modern electronics without removing the old parts, and use it.

If you don't want to do it, send it to me
smile.png

Quote:
It's a kerosene incubator.

It will clean up beautifully.

I would clean and refinish it, add discrete modern electronics without removing the old parts, and use it.

If you don't want to do it, send it to me
smile.png

That's the plan! I sold one this spring that was much, much more complete. The guy remembered his parents hatching out of one when he was a kid so I hope that he gets it restored and operational.

Me on the other hand, just like the style of old stuff but love today's technology.

If, and that is a huge if, I don't keep it you guys will be the first to get the bator.

I've finally got everything together and operational other than the humidity controls (still working on that plan).

Here is a pic of the inside with the lid removed. I removed the tube and put it in storage.

100_4229.jpg

Here is the light I used for a night light. I am using a 7.5w bulb. The hole is from the copper tube. I am doing all I can to keep from drilling any holes in this old incubator.
The other cord is what I used to power the fan.

100_4239.jpg

100_4244.jpg

I am using a reptile thermostat to control the heating element

100_4246.jpg

The element is mounted to the lid of the 'bator

100_4245.jpg

Until the auto turner shows up I am just laying the probe of the thermostat on the floor to see how it is working.

100_4247.jpg

And here it is in action!

100_4248.jpg

All lite up and hot!! Didn't take long for the element to achieve 100 degrees.

I forgot my thermometers at home so I don't know how accurate it is yet. I will post more when I get the turner installed and the humistat wired up. I need to find a used reptile fogger for humidity.

Quote:
It is a petiatric unit. (add the www and dot com) It is designed for their incubators.

Since I was starting with an uninsulated wooden box I figured I would go big. Their is no insulation, just wood. And it is dried out redwood.

I need to figure out the humidity controls yet. I know Twigg wont like that I am basing this control on a humistat but if he is like me, he likes a challenge!

Great looking unit and I like your modernization...redwood was used for various reasons years ago for incubators....it didn't rot from moisture, it was a great insulator - holding heat in, it looked good as well. I have a project incubator as well....Leahy Famous Incubator Model 1200....8 trays...2 wafer therm, fan on top, heat element on bottom...21" W X 54" H x 46" D....my project is on hold and look forward on seeing more pic's of your progress.
22115_dscn0650.jpg

I installed 2 Acurite humistat/thermostats in opposite corners, about 4 inches away from the walls and set the thermostat to 100 degrees. It was dead on!!!

I left it on for the last 48 hours and fluctuated the rooms air temp and it held 100 degrees constantly!!!

Now that I know my heating and circulating equipment is working its time to add some moisture and see what happens.

It's diffidently a conversation piece around my shop but it's home is going to be in the family room where the whole family can watch 'em hatch. Wife still wont let me brood chicks inside though so I need to wait a while till MN thaws out in April.

Back
Top Bottom