Converting an old incubator

CARS

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 24, 2009
Saint James/ Comfrey MN
I've been thinking of doing something with this (other than collecting dust).

100_3902.jpg

One idea was to restore it to a furniture quality piece and set a modern incubator on top of it to hatch eggs. A good idea if I was into collecting antiques.

But then I thought about all of the homemade incubators.

Why not convert this oil burner into an electric incubator? All the same parts could be installed without really destroying the 'bator. Or so I think.

What do you think?

A.J.'s :

p-lease tell me how does that thing work?

I honestly don't know. I pulled 2 out of a barn that was going to be tore down. I kept one and sold the other.

I bet someone else can answer the question though!​

I will clean it up and take some more pics tomorrow. To give you an idea, there is a wooden door that you open in the front. Behind that is a glass door that opens into the incubation chamber. There is a pull out wire tray to place the eggs on.

I would need to add an electric heating element or bulb, a nightlight, and a way to add humidity. I think it is doable. I just need to clean it up and fix one of the legs. Other than that, follow the homemade incubator builds and start hatching!!

This morning I got most of the dust off and took some pics.
(btw: I messed up and posted the wrong pic earlier, this one came from Iowa. The one on the top of the page was from Nebraska and is the one I sold)

100_4204.jpg

Here the first door opens. It was so dusty I didn't know that it had glass!

100_4206.jpg

After the second glass door is open you can see the mechanicals of this thing. (I still don't know how it worked though)

100_4207.jpg

100_4208.jpg

As you can see there is a copper pipe (2 1/2"-3") running around the top of the incubator. I am assuming that the heater somehow pumped heat through this pipe but I am missing so many pieces on the heater that I don't know how it is controlled. I would like to somehow use the pipe (leave it in there). Maybe fill it with 50%water/50% glycol (to protect against any future freezing that may occur) and wrap heat tape around it?? The heated, filled pipe should hold a consistent temp.

Another thought is using the heating element out of a cabinet 'bator. With the proper hanging clips from GQF it should hang in the middle of the pipe. It would keep the element hidden to the casual onlooker.

And the simplest idea is to remove the pipe and heater, use the hole in the side of the cabinet and use a light bulb for heat.

I will need a fan (I have an old PC laying around) and a method of humidifying (and controlling the humidity). I will use the same thermostat that I am adding to my brooder (reptile style with remote probe).

OK gang, now that you've seen what I am starting with what ideas do you have?

I need to talk to a woodworker today and get new legs made (one is missing, one is broke) and then the construction can begin!!!!

Back
Top Bottom