Converting an older shed I built into our new coop

McKinneyMike

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 20, 2013
McKinney, TX

I have a really well built 10x12 building that I built over 20 years ago, that just doesn't have much use these days. I figured it would make a nice coop with a few upgrades like some windows and divide the supply room/egg retrieval area from the coop. I am adding on a small covered run of 8x12. I will add a larger unroofed area for them to have some space to scratch and peek later.
I was concerned with putting the windows above the roosting area, but it is the best place to maximize cross flow of air. I will start framing the interior wall between the storage area and the coop tomorrow and build my nest boxes too. The I will begin to tear off the old siding and frame up the space for the door and the window on the front of the shed. Then tear off the siding in the back and frame up for the two windows at the back of the coop. Got most all of my lumber here so I just have to get my air nailers oiled and ready to work.
Any suggestions of what i might not have considered would be appreciated.

Last edited:
That's what we did, repurposed an old shed and added a run. The actual shed is 8' x 18'. The chicken use half, the other half is storage. It has worked out really well.

I have the wall that will separate the coop from the storage area framed up. I need to get hinges on the door. Nest boxes are installed and hinged lid on the storage side to allow easier access without going into coop area.

Wider angle of the framed wall between coop area and storage. I will be adding a window and a steel entry door to the wall at the back of photo this week. The spot where I am taking the photo is the old entrance with double doors. I will be framing up this wall and adding two windows to this wall.

Nest boxes are 15" wide each and 14 1/2" deep. Height is 16" inside. I have a hinged lid on them to allow access from outside the coop area. I have a 2x4 perch added to the front of the nest boxes. The boxes are 18" off the floor. My neighbor slipped in an unused egg crate today and called it his "automatic egg catcher" They are excited to have fresh eggs next door :)

OK got the front door and one window installed in my old shed (new coop) yesterday afternoon. Will be trimming it out today and then framing in back wall for two more windows. The run will come next. Getting there slowly.

Got the rear wall of the coop resided today and got the windows installed and trimmed out.

I made angled the top pieces of window trim on the ends to dress it up a bit. Caulked the trim around the windows and will install new soffits on this end of the coop tomorrow and prime all new trim.

Very nice! Make sure that your windows all have hardware cloth well attached ion the insides; screening is NOT predator proof. Also hardware cloth on the inside of the vents. If possible, a big opening in the door too. You can't have too much ventilation! Mary

Back
Top Bottom