Convince dad to put hardwire cloth on the chicken’s run instead if chicken wire.

Pics
It has never happened till it happens. My family has raised chickens for well over 100 years here. We never encountered mink until mink killed about $4,000 worth of birds in a week.
Daytime predators include dogs, coyotes and fox as well as occasionally raccoons. Any of them can rip chicken wire to shreds. Mink and least weasels can get through a 1" opening.
Here are some pictures for you to share with him.
https://www.google.com/search?q=chi...XRZc0KHUs7BDkQ_AUoAnoECA8QBA&biw=1256&bih=903

It has never happened till it happens. My family has raised chickens for well over 100 years here. We never encountered mink until mink killed about $4,000 worth of birds in a week.
Daytime predators include dogs, coyotes and fox as well as occasionally raccoons. Any of them can rip chicken wire to shreds. Mink and least weasels can get through a 1" opening.
Here are some pictures for you to share with him.
https://www.google.com/search?q=chi...XRZc0KHUs7BDkQ_AUoAnoECA8QBA&biw=1256&bih=903
Thank you

My chicken run is covered on all sides and the bottom with 1/2 19 gauge hardware cloth. The roof is corrugated aluminum. The first predator I saw when I first bought this property was a weasel. Just one, and haven't seen it since. That's OK, I don't have to worry about my chickens. I look at it as protecting my investment. Best of luck.

Facts and logic can sound like "I am right and you are WRONG" which is never a good strategy to take with stubborn men. Plus he may not want to use hardware cloth because it is quite a bit more expensive.

If logic doesn't work try playing on his emotion by saying something like "It may be silly but I am just so worried, can you please consider it so I don't have to worry about them?"

It also depends on the size of the run. I have two large runs (12x30 ft each) and hardware cloth would be way way too expensive so I used welded wire. It is plenty strong to keep dogs and the like out, however my birds are locked up in a safe hen house from dusk until dawn.

It was two years before a mink killed all but one chicken in one of my coops. If it's never happened yet, count your blessings. But he can't assume it will NEVER happen, and when it does, it's heartbreaking. Mink -- who appear to kill for the joy of it, not to eat their kills -- leave the lifeless bodies for you to clean up. I saw how and where all my girls died, including Mia, whose head was pulled through the corner of the run.

Hardware cloth is pricier, but it buys more peace of mind.

My chicken run is covered on all sides and the bottom with 1/2 19 gauge hardware cloth. The roof is corrugated aluminum. The first predator I saw when I first bought this property was a weasel. Just one, and haven't seen it since. That's OK, I don't have to worry about my chickens. I look at it as protecting my investment. Best of luck.
Thank you

Facts and logic can sound like "I am right and you are WRONG" which is never a good strategy to take with stubborn men. Plus he may not want to use hardware cloth because it is quite a bit more expensive.

If logic doesn't work try playing on his emotion by saying something like "It may be silly but I am just so worried, can you please consider it so I don't have to worry about them?"
Thank you

It was two years before a mink killed all but one chicken in one of my coops. If it's never happened yet, count your blessings. But he can't assume it will NEVER happen, and when it does, it's heartbreaking. Mink -- who appear to kill for the joy of it, not to eat their kills -- leave the lifeless bodies for you to clean up. I saw how and where all my girls died, including Mia, whose head was pulled through the corner of the run.

Hardware cloth is pricier, but it buys more peace of mind.
Thank you, I’m so sorry about your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom