Convince dad to put hardwire cloth on the chicken’s run instead if chicken wire.

I would still go with the hardware cloth and put a roof over the run. If getting to the chickens is a bit more challenging a bear will likely go after something easier. Still electric fence is an option as well. However, smaller predators may be unaffected by that so it's back to the hardware cloth.
Ya, the only thing I’d my dad bought one of those runs that you put the wire around because we couldn’t find any pressure treated wood and we were gunna do an apron around it. I don’t think he’d wanna waste all the money he spent.

Ya, the only thing I’d my dad bought one of those runs that you put the wire around because we couldn’t find any pressure treated wood and we were gunna do an apron around it. I don’t think he’d wanna waste all the money he spent.
I would pay for it too, but I don’t have any money, I spent it all on the chickens already.

Ya, I’m honestly a little off put about electric wire because I’ve heard it it’s wet out it can zap you without touching it and I’ve heard to has been able to kill animals. I’m not saying it’s true but I’m a little worried. It’s not just bears we have like every predator around here. One time when I was young a fox got into the coop and killed all but 1.
I wouldn't worry about danger of electric wire and it doesn't have to kill animals, it just unsettles them to the point - they don't want that sensation again.
We had electric fencing all over the farm when I was growing up. However, it wasn't for predator protection but to keep horses, cattle and hogs confined.

I thought of something else after reading what others have written.
Hardware cloth is more expensive but you'll only have to buy it once. Chicken wire rusts and needs to be replaced regularly - or every time an animal tears it up.

I would pay for it too, but I don’t have any money, I spent it all on the chickens already.
I'm sorry. You're in a tough spot. Perhaps looking into less expensive sources of fencing. Perhaps on Craigs list or your local Habitat for Humanity store. Also check with fence contractors to see if they have any scraps available. Best of luck.

Thank yo
I wouldn't worry about danger of electric wire and it doesn't have to kill animals, it just unsettles them to the point - they don't want that sensation again.
We had electric fencing all over the farm when I was growing up. However, it wasn't for predator protection but to keep horses, cattle and hogs confined.

I thought of something else after reading what others have written.
Hardware cloth is more expensive but you'll only have to buy it once. Chicken wire rusts and needs to be replaced regularly - or every time an animal tears it up.
thank you I’ll look into it more.

Do you have a picture of the run, or a link to a website showing it?
Did it come with chainlink fencing?
Animals small enough to go through chainlink fencing are usually too weak to destroy chicken wire, so chainlink + chicken wire can be a pretty good combination.

Do you have a picture of the run, or a link to a website showing it?
Did it come with chainlink fencing?
Animals small enough to go through chainlink fencing are usually too weak to destroy chicken wire, so chainlink + chicken wire can be a pretty good combination.
No, it didn’t come with chain link unfortunately, here’s a picture
2C35BEB2-E91A-4D1B-A692-7961C9E9729F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom