Convince dad to put hardwire cloth on the chicken’s run instead if chicken wire.

Hardware cloth is pricier but chances are you will only have to buy it once. Once a predator is able to get in through the chicken wire, you will be constantly purchasing new wire or at this point hardware cloth. Sonya9 had a great idea about stating how you would worry, and hardware cloth would give you peace of mine.
Thank you, yes I get really worried, I don’t want to loose any more I’ve already lost 4 this year ( 3 to a bear and 1 to illness ). It may not sound like a lot but we don’t have very many.

I don’t know if anyone can really help me with this. But do you know anyway to convince my dad not to put chicken wire on the run. He said that over the years nothing has ever gotten in our old run during the day so it’ll be fine, but I am worried I’ll come out one day and find a crime scene.

I had this same problem. My dad originally wanted to make a 2msqu “””coop””” by stacking old, broken metal sticks against our fence. Nothing else. Through a few months of convincing, we are very slowly building a niceish, predator proof coop. Phew.

Thank you, yes I get really worried, I don’t want to loose any more I’ve already lost 4 this year ( 3 to a bear and 1 to illness ). It may not sound like a lot but we don’t have very many.

If bears are problem the chicken wire might be just fine -- after you add electric wire with a powerful charger. :D

If bears are problem the chicken wire might be just fine -- after you add electric wire with a powerful charger. :D
Ya, I’m honestly a little off put about electric wire because I’ve heard it it’s wet out it can zap you without touching it and I’ve heard to has been able to kill animals. I’m not saying it’s true but I’m a little worried. It’s not just bears we have like every predator around here. One time when I was young a fox got into the coop and killed all but 1.

Wow! I'd use hardware cloth if I were you, I had the same struggle with my dad. Electric charge is a good idea, but a curious hen could easily have her head pulled through chicken wire, if you must use chicken wire, dubble or triple wrap it so the holes are smaller.

Ya, I’m honestly a little off put about electric wire because I’ve heard it it’s wet out it can zap you without touching it and I’ve heard to has been able to kill animals. I’m not saying it’s true but I’m a little worried. It’s not just bears we have like every predator around here. One time when I was young a fox got into the coop and killed all but 1.

This should be everything you need to know: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/a-treatise-on-electric-fences-for-poultry.72229/

:)

Back
Top Bottom