• Poll closed .

Nats Chickens

Free Ranging
Jun 20, 2018
NSW, Australia
My Coop
My Coop
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but anyway,
I absolutely love chooks. I have 8 little fluff butts, [technically 4, the others belong to some of my siblings] and I would like to breed. The breeds I like are GLWs and White Araucanas.
BUT, Dad hates my chickens. [To be fair, they are a little noisy and Houdinis but we are getting a pen, so that will fix that problem] How do I convince him to let me breed? Are there any better breeds? Or maybe pros or something to point out? How long should I wait after we get the fence to ask him? Our current ones are not recent, and I don't want a massive breeding facility, just a few hens and a rooster of each type, we are on 3/4 of an acre, and the chooks are very far from the house. I am willing to pay for everything, but what are some convincing pros about breeding chickens?

How old are you? It might be better to wait until you are older and can decide for yourself on your own property.

Breeding chickens comes with lots of responsibility, noise and cost. It doesn't sound like your dad would allow it.

When I was younger I dreamed of a farm full of animals. When I was old enough I made my dream come true. Some things are worth waiting for.

I found this really nice place nearby where I could get them from, lots of choice! Now for convincing...:)
https://broadwaypoultry.weebly.com/
You can see our current set up on my coop page, but over the Christmas holidays we are going to move them into the shed in the background and build a chicken proof fence around it to make run for them, then, after a month or so, when he has forgiven them, I could ask him about breeding.

There are two local kids in our county who helped pay for their college by raising chicks and pullets and selling them. The brother started doing it, went off to college, and his little sister took over.

Their chickens are top quality and very sought after around here -- they've been around for 8 years! They would usually raise their birds to about 6-8 weeks, and sell for $15 each. They would sell hundreds of birds, spring-fall, and made enough money to help pay for college! That should be a selling point for your dad. :)

I think if you have a well thought out plan, with income/expenses, future problems anticipated, and you present that to your dad, you have a better chance of him saying yes. You will also need to prove that you are responsible enough to do all of this. Are you getting up early in the morning already to tend to the chickens, with no reminders? Do you have a chicken sitter lined up *now* for when the family decides to go on vacation? Chickens can live a long time. What is your plan for when you move away from home?

The less work/worry you make for your dad, the more likely he will be to say yes! This might sound really odd, but I would suggest typing and printing up your answers for your dad -- like you would an application for a business loan. Teachers, bosses, investors, (and parents) are impressed when you have a nice looking proposal -- by doing this, I think you will know what *you* want with your breeding program, and you'll be able to reassure your dad that you've thought about all the different aspects, and that you can handle them.

I wish you the best of luck!!

Once they are penned, he won't even be able to see them. He doesn't even go near them now. I just care for them and sell him the eggs at 30 cents each to pay for all their feed. Thank you for the tip on saving for college. I want to go to agriculteral college in a year or two and that would be a great thing to point out! :)

Back
Top Bottom