Convincing Dad

Sword

Songster
9 Years
Dec 27, 2010
Mundelein
Hi guys! I've got plans for bantams and nigerian goats all ready to go, but I have to convince my dad that there are more pros than cons. I'm gonna be arguing with a lawyer, so I want to be well prepared. Here's my list so far:
Pros:
1) Goats would take care of the buckthorn bushes that are ever encroaching the yard.
2) We'd get fresh delicious milk (need to convince him goats milk isn't vile)
3) We wouldn't have to pay to have weed killer sprayed in the yard (I hate that)
4) We wouldn't have to pay for fertilizer for the gardens
5) We would get fresh little eggs from the bantams
6) Some of my younger siblings could try out 4-H
7) That nigerian dwarf kids aren't nearly as hard to sell as the unwanted kittens people keep dumping in our yard (except wethers)
8) That bantams would eat the dog ticks that infest our yard by the hundreds every spring (my friend does this and it works)
9) We could actually use our two acres of thick, nice grass and weeds for something

Cons:
1) high start up costs
2) We'd have to buy hay and feed
3) We'd have to sell wethers and extra roosters, which might be hard.
4) Relatives will probably tease him

You guys got any more?

Last edited:
You wouldn't have to sell roosters and bucks...you could eat them.

Possible smells and noises.

Try and convince him about a few bantams, just three or four to start out with. Hopefully he'll get the chicken bug, and let you get more. Then the goats shouldn't be too much trouble.

The nigerian dwarfs are nice goats, but the amount of milk you get from the time spent milking twice a day isn't really worth it. You'd have more productive animals if you crossed a buck with a larger doe. That would make a better carcase too. Goat meat tastes great, not very much different than lamb...kind of a beefy lamb.

How about this for Pro's you will be researching and learning about new animals,learning responsibility, probably meeting new people with the same interest. Which in turn means that you will be spending more time with the new animals and less time doing unproductive things and getting into troulble. Exercise, baby goats love to run and play so you and the other kids will be out of his hair and outside more. As far as the Con's turn them around. Start up wouldn't be as high if you started with one already bread goat and maybe one rooster and a hen. You could eat the extra roosters you couldn't sell and as far as your Dad being teased, it will teach him how to stick up for himself.
smile.png
If that doesen't work maybe you could just get one or the other to break him in slow.

thumbsup.gif
Good luck let us know how it goes.

Quote:
Really? From a couple of Nigerians, I get more than enough milk for my family. Course there's only three of us but we haven't had to buy milk when we've got lactating does in years. And mine aren't even top of the line milkers.

Why would you want roosters to begin with?
Just go woth three hens, for the eggs.

Maybe compare how much eggs cost, then mention you could get three eggs a day for the cost of grain/feed. Home eggs are healthier.

Start with the chicken arguments. Look up the research done by Mother Earth News on how much healthier your 'homegrown' eggs con be compared to storebought eggs. Get 3 standard hens for the eggs, and a few bantams as pets / 4h birds for your siblings.

When the chickens are successful and he's seeing the benefits and your commitment, then talk to him about the larger and more time-intensive goats.

Back
Top Bottom