Cooing Blue Orp Roo

MissPrissy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Forks, Virginia
Due to their fast growth and size at nearly 5 weeks I have had to do something I have never done before. I put 4 1/2 week old chicks out in the barn with a 250 watt red heat lamp. It is supposed to be 30 or so tonight. They have VERY deep fresh pine shavings bedding, 5 gallons of fresh water and 22 lbs of chick starter. I know they will be fine and will huddle and snuggling in the bedding under the lamp - and be just fine.

I know this? Because Mosby and Bonnie Blue are in the coop beside them. When we went out tonight just before dark to make the shift to the new living quarters this is what I saw -

Mosby and Bonnie waiting for me as usual -
mos1.jpg

The new chicks were put into their new nursery coop and Mosby and Bonnie ambled over to inspect.

mo3.jpg

As the chicks were cheeping Mosby really perked up.

mo4.jpg

When we finally closed up and headed out the chicks really started chirping and almost whining. Mosby kept his attention on the chicks next door.

mo2.jpg

I stood in the doorway and watch the events unfold.

mo6.jpg

Can you see Bonnie behind him? He is HUGE.

Mosby began to coo and cluck in hushed tones. Almost sing song cooing and clucking and soft bwagawking.

The chicks came to the edge of the roost looking for the cooing.

chickgroup.jpg

When I closed the barn door they were one by one jumping down to the floor and snuggling in the deep bedding over near Mosby.

How interesting is that roo* behavior?

Techically he is a cockeral, age 22 weeks.

Mosby and Bonnie are a beautiful pair and those chicks are a knockout. What is that red one in the pic? It is so different than the rest but still pretty.

That is so cool I want a roo I am literally twitching for one and I love the noise they make espeacialy crowing but aperantly suburban planing comities don't LOL

I have seen roo's talk to their hens but I have never see one become instantly attentive and calming to new chicks. I was really surprised. I have NEVER heard Mosby's voice until last night. He even softly clucked at them. I was tickled!

What a good daddy he will make. Gorgeous birds. Oh, my, what beautiful babies he and Bonnie Blue will make, .....MUST.....HAVE.....BLUE.....ORPS....... so beautiful.
ep.gif

TCM, I can't even begin to count the number of failed hatches I have had. These came from hand delivered eggs that rode across 3 mountain ranges to get here. LOL

No wonder they are rare! They are hard to hatch!

Back
Top Bottom