cooked a freshly culled bird...too tough, whats wrong and what to do?

ok I guess i should have read some more before i started. I processed 10 of my broilers today. I decided to bake a couple breasts tonight and it was hard as can be but it was a good lesson. I am going to keep them in icewater overnight for a couple days before i freeze them. Should i change to a brine for a day before i freeze them? Thank you for all the help

Wilber

My one and only roo I culled was about 7 months old. He was a mean silkie roo. After all the cleaning was done, I put him in the fridge for almost 2 days....then I read I should brine him...so I got a big bowl and stuck the roo in the brine solution for another 2 days. We then stuck him in the rotisserie. He was the best tasting chicken I have ever had in my life., also my first 'homegrown' chicken. The meat was very tender in my opinion except for the legs...they were a bit tough but not tough enough were I didn't eat it. We were ready for our next 'real' chicken after eatin him. Try a brine solution. People said that I was nuts for not putting him in soup at 7 months of age. They all said he'd be too tough. Maybe the brine made him more tender???? Whatever it was, he was delicious!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
the only method i have ever heard of to make any kind of old bird tender, chicken, pheasent, etc. was to tie a string around the neck after dead and hang from limb until bird falls and head comes off, i strongly recommend against this method, but i have heard it more than once.

wow! yeah i dont think i would do that. I mean how long does it actually take for the head to fall off on its own...even if the necks been cut?

Quote:
Actually in third world countries chickens are hung dead in markets, and usually tender. This is why wild game tends to be more tender as they usually are not cooked until after the day is finished. It is not necessary to hang birds for days, only long enough to let the rigor leave the muscle. But it is safer to do it over a longer period in the fridge than from a tree.

Quote:
Do you crock pot them whole? Got a recipe? We are getting rid of a 6 month old roo and my family has never eaten a DP breed older roo. they are used to grocery store birds.

Pineapple is a great tenderizer for chicken and pork. Chicken should not be left more than 10 to 15 minutes in juice. I've had very good luck with using the juice with pork for moist good pulled pork. Can't wait to try it on one of my gals but not until end of the year.
D.gif

Quote:
Do you crock pot them whole? Got a recipe? We are getting rid of a 6 month old roo and my family has never eaten a DP breed older roo. they are used to grocery store birds.

Recipe for cooking a chicken in the crock pot:

Season bird with salt, pepper, and a little poultry seasoning, or whatever spices/herbs you prefer. If bird is frozen, thaw it first.

Put it in the crock pot. You can leave it whole, if it will fit, or cut it up, whichever you prefer.

Add about 2 cups of water just so the bottom of the pot is covered.

Plug it in, set it on either high or low. I've used both, and had good results, low just takes a little longer.

Wait until the meat begins to fall off the bones. Usually at least 6 hours, could be longer depending on setting, and the age of the bird.

That's it. Once the chicken is done, you can take the meat off of the bones, and use it for any dish that uses cooked chicken. I'm partial to tacos, enchiladas, and tamales, myself. I strain the broth to remove and little bones and gristle, and save it in the freezer for sauces, gravies, dressing, or any recipe that calls for broth or stock. I even use it in place of caned beef stock, it tastes better than the canned stuff, and has no MSG or other trash in it, and I control the amount of salt.

Quote:
I mean, don't let it ever really boil (where the surface of the liquid is really rockin' and rollin', you know?)... never let it get above a simmer (where you have some small bubbles rising but a very small person in a tiny heatproof canoe would not be in any real danger)

Or of course as others have said there is the pressure-cooker option.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I love the imagery.
smile.png

Ed

Back
Top Bottom