Cooked veggies

smilzsomuch

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2019
Recently i made some ‘ cabbage stew’.
This consists of cabbage, bell pepper, celery, stewed tomatoes, and some onion. I made approximately 8 quarts.
There was only 1 (medium) onion in the whole pot. Half of the pot was consumed by we humans. ☺️
My question: is it safe to feed the remainder to my 11 chickens? I don’t mind draining the juice off if need be.
Thanks!

Don't know about chickens, but my ducks would devour this in an instance. And i noticed that cooked onions have had no negative effect on the Duckies digestive system, if that's the concern. As said ducks, but i don't thing chickens would be much different and i assume the would also only eat what they like and discard what's bad for them.

Yes, but you might want to ration it out, unless you have a lot of chickens. Mine get left overs and scraps but not too much at one time.

I give my chickens the "remains" after I make stock or broth...that usually includes a mix of meat, bone, a little onion, plus some veggie bits and peels (celery, carrots, etc.) - I'd say give the flock some and see what they think.

Mixing some of the "broth" with their food may help soak it up and be an nice warm treat on a cold day.

Back
Top Bottom