Cookie is still sick with Coryza(?) Please help!

EveW

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 19, 2014
She's been sick since January 11th and living in our kitchen in the kennel. So tired of her getting better and then bouncing back. Vet prescribed Lincocin 50mg. Didn't work. Another vet gave us Albon. Didn't work. Then my husband went out and got Tylen that we inject in her breast. Tomorrow is the 7th day and she's still not well. I hate to have to put her down because she's eating and walking and "talking" and LOVES yogurt.
Cookie had her eyes infected and oozing but we got that under control but she seems not to see very well now. Misses the bread pieces we throw to her. Any ideas? We really don't know what to do anymore.

Coryza is a chronic respiratory disease that will make carriers of your whole flock for life. Symptoms can last for 5-6weeks or more, and can return whenever the chicken becomes stressed. It can't be cured, but symptoms may go away with medications like the ones you have been giving. Coryza and MG are difficult to tell apart, and without getting her tested, it is difficult to know for sure what she has. Coryza usually has a bad odor in the beginning, and Tylan and sulfa drugs are used together commonly to treat it. Can you contact your state vet to see about getting her tested?

I'm not sure what a "State Vet" is. Our vet said it's "suspected Infectious Coryza". Can she at some point go back to the others without infecting them or should we just send her over the rainbow bridge now? I really hate thinking about that because she's so sweet and kind of bonded with her. She seems to have lost vision in one of her eyes. Could that be part of the Coryza infection and eye discharge?

I'm not sure what a "State Vet" is. Our vet said it's "suspected Infectious Coryza". Can she at some point go back to the others without infecting them or should we just send her over the rainbow bridge now? I really hate thinking about that because she's so sweet and kind of bonded with her. She seems to have lost vision in one of her eyes. Could that be part of the Coryza infection and eye discharge?

DO NOT put that sick bird into your flock. If you do, your whole flock will end up sick just like her. Cull her NOW. Bury her deep far away from your existing flock, or incinerate her. Change your clothes and shoes, wash your hands after handling her prior to going out to your flock to feed them or whatever. Practice biosecurity.

I agree with Dawg53 that your hen will always be a carrier, and can infect your others. It's sad to have to cull a favorite chicken, but it would be sad to infect them all, and risk losing them. Do you have any idea how she could have been exposed to it?

Thank you both! I guess she's got to go today. So sad but you're right and we can't keep her in our kitchen forever. No idea how she could have gotten exposed. She was fine for over two months since we got her and the others all together. There are no other chickens in the area.

Back
Top Bottom